Factbox on Romanian Simona Halep, who beat Serena Williams 6-2, 6-2 to win the Wimbledon title on Saturday:
Born: September 27 1991 in Constanta, Romania. (Age: 27)
Grand Slam titles (2): French Open 2018; Wimbledon 2019
* Won her first Grand Slam title after falling at the final hurdle three times -- Roland Garros (2014, 2017) and the Australian Open (2018).
* Became the first Romanian to win a Grand Slam crown since her manager Virginia Ruzici in Paris in 1978.
MAKING HER NAME
Started playing at the age of four
Turned pro in 2006
CAREER TO DATE
* Began playing on the ITF circuit in 2006.
* Announced herself to the world in 2013, claiming six WTA titles -- in Nuremberg, 'S-Hertogenbosch, Budapest, New Haven, Moscow and Sofia. Finished the season at number 11.
* Won two WTA titles in 2014 at Doha and Bucharest. Finished runner-up in three more events, including the French Open where she was beaten by Maria Sharapova in the final. Reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Ranking climbed to number three.
* Triumphed in Shenzhen, Dubai and Indian Wells in 2015. Reached the semi-finals at the US Open and the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. Finished the year ranked number two.
* Claimed three WTA titles in 2016, in Madrid, Bucharest and Montreal. Quarter-finalist at Wimbledon and US Open.
* Reached number one for the first time in 2017 and won the Madrid title. Lost in the French Open final to Jelena Ostapenko. Reached the quarter-finals of Wimbledon.
* Beaten by Caroline Wozniacki the 2018 Australian Open final.
* Claimed her first Grand Slam title at Roland Garros defeating Sloane Stephens.
* She made several changes to her coaching team and her ranking dropped to seventh in 2019.
* Dropped only one set throughout the tournament to claim her first Wimbledon title.