Rediff.com  » Sports » Rashford's mural vandalised as Eng players racially abused

Rashford's mural vandalised as Eng players racially abused

Last updated on: July 12, 2021 18:04 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

'Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves.'

Bin bags cover offensive graffiti on the vandalised mural of Manchester United and England striker Marcus Rashford on the wall of a cafe on Copson Street, Withington on Monday. Rashford and other Black players on England's national football team have been the target of racist abuse, largely on social media, after the team's loss to Italy in the UEFA European Football Championship on Sunday.

IMAGE: Bin bags cover offensive graffiti on the vandalised mural of Manchester United and England striker Marcus Rashford on the wall of a cafe on Copson Street, Withington on Monday. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

Black players in the England soccer team have been subjected to a storm of online racist abuse after their defeat in the final of Euro 2020, drawing wide condemnation from the squad's manager Gareth Southgate along with royalty and politicians.

Marcus Rashford, 23, Jadon Sancho, 21, and Bukayo Saka, 19, were the targets of the abuse after they missed spot-kicks in a penalty shootout with Italy which settled Sunday's final after the game finished as a 1-1 draw.

The artwork present on the streets of Manchester has been defaced in the wake of the striker missing the penalty in the finals of Euro 2020. Garbage bags have been placed alongside the mural and the unruly supporters have also covered the artwork with some graffiti.

 

The Rashford mural was created by street artist Akse in partnership with the community project Withington Walls.

Edward Wellard, Stations Project Management and Works Package Manager in Manchester, condemned this act and said that these types of acts are despicable.

"I've come out to fix what I could immediately and cover-up what I couldn't and hopefully we will get the artist out to come and fix it," Goal.com quoted Wellard as saying.

"We dared to dream yesterday and our hopes were dashed but to wake up to this is more depressing. Racism seems to be more and more prevalent," he added.

The racist comments have prompted a police investigation and wide condemnation, although critics accused some ministers of hypocrisy for refusing to support a high-profile anti-racist stance the players had made during the tournament.

"For some of them to be abused is unforgivable," Southgate told a news conference.

"Some of it has come from abroad, we have been told this, but some of it is from this country."

The England team has earned praise for their stand against racism, while a number of players have also campaigned on other social causes. The multi-racial make-up of the team had been hailed as reflecting a more diverse modern Britain.

The team had highlighted the issue of racism by taking the knee before all their matches - a protest made by American footballer Colin Kaepernick and followed by the Black Lives Matter movement last year - saying it was a simple show of solidarity against racial discrimination.

However, some fans have booed the gesture, with critics viewing it a politicization of sport and expression of sympathy with far-left politics.

Bukayo Sako

IMAGE: Police said they would also investigate the comments made towards Black players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka (in picture), who missed spot-kicks in a penalty shootout with Italy following a 1-1 draw on Sunday. Photograph: Facundo Arrizabalaga - Pool/Getty Images

Some ministers have been accused of hypocrisy for refusing to criticise those who booed and using it as part of a wider "culture war", often portrayed as a rift between those wanting to protect Britain's heritage from a "woke" youth, who see their elders as blocking moves to end racial and social injustice.

"This England team deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Twitter.

"Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves."

While Johnson himself said the team should not be booed, his own spokesman had declined to criticise the fans over the issue when asked.

Home Secretary (interior minister) Priti Patel also said last month she did not support players taking the knee because it was "gesture politics" and that it was a choice for the fans whether to boo players. On Monday, she joined those who denounced the abuse.

But the deputy leader of the opposition Labour Party, Angela Rayner, said Johnson and Patel were themselves at fault.

"The Prime Minister and the Home Secretary gave license to the racists who booed the England players and are now racially abusing England players," she said on Twitter.

"Boris Johnson and Priti Patel are like arsonists complaining about a fire they poured petrol on. Total hypocrites," Rayner said.

While the social media feeds of the players also showed huge levels of support and gratitude from fans for the tournament, the abuse overshadowed the positive messages.

Britain's Prince William condemned what he called the "disgusting" racist abuse.

"It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour," said Queen Elizabeth's grandson Prince William, who said he was "sickened".

"It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable," William, who is president of the Football Association, said on Twitter.

The Football Association said fans who exhibited such "disgusting behaviour" were not welcome and urged the authorities to hand out "the toughest punishments possible".

European soccer governing body UEFA also condemned the abuse and called for the strongest possible punishments.

London Police said officers were aware of the offensive and racist comments, and would take action. A mural of Rashford, who had campaigned for poor children to be given more support during the pandemic, was also covered in abuse.

The issue of online abuse of players led to British soccer authorities briefly boycotting social media platforms prior to the tournament.

A Twitter spokesperson said they had removed more than 1,000 tweets and permanently suspended a number of accounts, saying the "abhorrent racist abuse" had no place on the platform.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
AGENCIES

https://www.rediff.com/cricket/ipl-2021