» News » Srinagar wrapped in curfew-blanket after violence

Srinagar wrapped in curfew-blanket after violence

Last updated on: September 07, 2010 16:30 IST

Curfew was imposed in the entire summer capital Srinagar, a day after four people including three teenagers were killed in police firing at Palhallan in north Kashmir's Baramulla district.

Police said 16 others who were injured in the police firing are undergoing treatment in various hospitals and condition of two is stated to be critical.

Early on Tuesday morning loud speaker fitted police jeeps made round of various localities of the capital city announcing the imposition of curfew and warning residents not to venture out and stay indoors.

The decision to impose curfew in the city and curfew-like-restrictions elsewhere came as thousands of protestors took to streets in the summer capital Srinagar on Tuesday night and indulged in heavy stone pelting.

The protestors tried to torch three police stations in the city, which was, however, foiled by the police who fired scores of rounds in air to quell the mobs.

Authorities faced a difficult time in controlling the situation in the capital city where slogan-shouting mobs burnt tyres on the roads shouting anti-India slogans for better part of the night.

Protestors took to streets on Monday evening in most parts of the capital city as news about the deaths in Palhallan spread.

Four persons including three teenagers were killed and 16 others were wounded when police opened fire to quell stone pelting protestors in north Kashmir's highway town of Palhallan, 45 kms from Srinagar.

A police spokesman in Srinagar said mobs pelted stones at the passing motorcade of the inspector general of police Kashmir who was on way to Baramulla.

The bodies of the four victims were handed over to their relatives for burial late on Monday evening. A police spokesman said an enquiry has been initiated into the incident.

"Ammunition of the policemen is being checked to fix the responsibility. Those found involved shall be proceeded against strictly according to law without any favour," the spokesman said.

Thousands of people blocked the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway on Monday night at Palhallan and adjacent Pattan town.

Early on Tuesday morning protestors again blocked the strategic highway disrupting traffic on it.

Reports of stone pelting on Monday night and Tuesday morning have come in from other towns as well.

The hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani was again placed under house arrest on Monday evening when a contingent of police was sent to his uptown Hyderpora residence.

Mukhtar Ahmad in Srinagar