Dutch model Debbie Dhillon fields questions on her first big break, beauty and health tips and the lessons life taught her.
Photograph: Uttam Ghosh/Rediff.com
Height: 5 ft 8.5 in
Weight: 55 kgs
The big break
Nearly three years ago, while I was still in high school, I auditioned for Miss India Netherlands and I was one of the finalists.
The same year, I walked for Manish Malhotra in London. I was the youngest (I was 17) and the only girl from the Netherlands to walk in the show.
It was all so much fun.
On Sunday I was treated like a princess -- my hair and make up was perfected by professionals and Monday morning I was back to school.
I pursued a Diploma and became a beautician but I soon realised that modelling was what made me happy.
Last year, I auditioned for Holland’s Next Top Model and stood third in the country.
I got signed by Touche Models in Amsterdam and in India, Anima Creatives helped me bag an assignment with Lakme.
I came to India six weeks ago and since then I have done photo shoots for Vogue, Grazia and Femina.
I will be walking for designer Sailex today -- it will be my first show at Lakme.
- No matter where you go, you will always find people who have an opinion about you -- what you should do and what you must not.
- If you have to succeed in life, you will have to stay strong and believe in yourself -- your talent.
- No matter the hardships you’ll face, just follow your dreams.
Beauty and health tips
- It helps that I am a beautician. I know how to take care of my skin in extreme situations.
- I don break a pimple because I know it will scar my face.
- I scrub my face twice a week and drink a lot of water.
- I walk a lot and back home, I used to do zumba.
- For breakfast, I have oatmeal with banana, honey and nuts.
- For lunch, I have yogurt and fruits. For dinner, I eat roti and boiled veggies.
Advice for aspirants
- Do not care about what other people think. Stay focused on your goals.
- If you meet friends who are jealous, just ignore them.
- Stay on course and stay committed to your dream.
I have travelled to Spain, the UK, the USA, Macedonia and France and met different types of people.
Whenever I am in a new country, I prefer to travel with people I know -- colleagues or people from my agency.
I always try to be alert and avoid travelling alone late in the night.