On the night of February 3, 1943, the bridge -- believed to be the target of the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force -- was opened to the public.
A brief history of the structure that reflects the pulse of the City of Joy.
Photograph:REUTERS/Rupak De Chowdhuri
The Commissioners for the Port of Calcutta were made the Commissioners for the bridge.
The Kolkata Port Trust is now the custodian of the bridge.
A tramcar was the first vehicle to roll down from the city-end to the station-end.
It was the third largest cantilever bridge at the time of its launch.
Consulting engineers, Rendel Palmer & Tritton, dealt with the construction. Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company of Darlington were the contractors.
Around 3,000 tonnes of steel and a number of special items were made in England.
The Kolkata Port Trust provided Rs 6.5 million to paint 2.2 million sq metres of the bridge. Around 26,500 litres of paint was used.
An inspection in 2011 showed spitting had reduced the thickness of the bridge from six millimetres to less than three millimetres.
Between 2013 and 2016 the expenditure for average annual maintenance was around Rs 25 million.
Around 100,000 vehicles and 150,000 pedestrians use it on a daily basis.