The best way to get rid of constipation is to develop healthy habits.
Constipation is a very common problem today.
Because of constipation, you might experience a lot of discomfort in your day-to-day life.
Here are some easy solutions that will come handy.
Eat more fibre
- People who eat fibre feel less constipated. Insoluble fibre adds bulk to your fecal material, which makes its passage easier and prevents constipation.
- According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the recommended level of fibre consumption should be 25 to 40 g/day.
Foods that contain the most amount of fibre are:
- Fruits like pears, apples, berries and oranges
- Vegetables like broccoli, sprouts, carrots and potatoes
- Legumes like beans, lentils and peas
- Grains like whole-wheat breads, brown rice, bran and oatmeal
- Nuts and seeds like almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds and walnuts
Drink plenty of water
Consistent hydration is important for good bowel movement.
It helps to stimulate the digestive tract in breaking down food which in turn prevents constipation.
Drink at least 3 to 4 litres of water in a day.
Skipping workout just makes you lethargic and is bad for your bowel movement.
Working out at least five days in a week boosts proper digestion.
Go for any kind of workout like running, walking, yoga, aerobics or just make sure that you engage in some sort of activity.
Stress can interfere with the relaxation of whole body including bowel movements.
It is important to do some activity to get rid of stress like meditation, exercise and proper sleep.
Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet boosts your metabolism and keeps your bowel system healthy.
Always go for simple home cooked meals to avoid feeling any discomfort and bloating.
The author Swati Kapoor is a dietitian/nutritionist.