On the eve of Makar Sankranti, prepare these easy-to-make delectable recipes from Satya Pandari, Executive Sous Chef at Novotel Hyderabad Convention Centre and HICC.
Til Ka Ladoo
- 1 kg white til
- 100 gm jaggery
- 100 ml water
- Roast the sesame seeds till golden brown.
- Make a syrup with jaggery and water. Cook it till one string consistency.
- Add the till seeds to it. Mix well and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Apply some oil in your palms to form the ladoo of equal size.
For the dough:
- 500 gm flour
- 50 gm ghee
- 5 gm cooking soda
For sugar syrup:
- 1 kg sugar
- 400 ml water
For the filling:
- 50 gm khoya
- 10 gm pistachio
- 2 gm cardamom powder
- 5 springs saffron
- 1 l ghee
- Make a dough with flour, ghee and cooking soda. Make a thick sugar syrup and keep aside.
- Mix khoya, chopped pista, cardamom powder and saffron sprigs for the filling.
- Divide the dough into 40 gm each and make a flat round shape. Fill 5 gm of khoya filling, fold the circle and pinch the edges to make a design.
- Fry the folded gujiya till golden brown in the ghee. Once it done remove from ghee and soak it in the sugar syrup.
Natu Kodi Kura
- 1 whole chicken, cut into curry pieces
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp dry coconut powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 4 tbsp masala or coriander powder
- 4 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 50 ml oil
- Mint leaves, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp shajeera or caraway seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green chillies (optional)
- 4 cups of water
- Remove skin, fat and cut chicken into pieces.
- Grind poppy seeds to a fine powder, add coconut and grind to a smooth paste with little water.
- Take a pot or a wide pan and add oil. Once it heats up, add caraway seeds, cinnamon stick, onions and green chillies, mint and coriander leaves.
- Once onions are golden brown add turmeric, ginger garlic paste and mix it with the onions.
- Add poppy seeds and coconut paste. Let it fry for 5 minutes on slow flame and later add chicken. Mix it well and close the lid and let the chicken cook for 5-10 minutes on slow flame.
- Once the chicken is half cooked, add red chilli powder, salt, garam masala and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now add water, coriander powder and cook on high with lid on for 10 - 15 minutes or until you have nice thick liquid gravy. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.