Rediff reader and food blogger Srividhya Ravikumar shares a scrumptious Kasi Halwa recipe.
You can share yours too!
I have been cooking since childhood and I love experimenting with my own recipes. As Diwali is approaching here is a great traditional sweet recipe," writes Srividhya.
Here’s how to make Kasi Halwa / White Pumpkin Halwa:
- 1 cup white pumpkin, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron
- Half a pinch of edible camphor
- 1 tbsp broken cashewnuts
- Fry cashewnuts in little ghee till they turn golden brown colour and keep aside.
- Take a fine muslin cloth, filter the grated pumpkin.
- Boil the filtered pumpkin water in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add saffron, pumpkin pulp and let it cook on low flame till the raw smell goes away.
- Add sugar, mix and let it cook again.
- When it starts getting a glossy look, add ghee, cardamom powder, edible camphor. Mix well and cook again.
- When it leaves the sides of the pan, add fried cashewnut. Mix well and turn off heat.
- Serve hot.
- 7 irresistible Diwali sweets you must try
- Diwali sweets: Kalakand, Khoya Peda, Gulab Jamun
- Diwali snacks: Super-tasty savoury recipes
- Festive recipe: Nolen Gurer Payesh
Send us your favourite festive recipes. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Festive Recipes) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.