Tofu is a magical ingredient.
Its ability to absorb is what makes it so versatile and convenient to cook.
If you like your tofu in a rich spicy curry, try this recipe.
Tofu in Thai Basil Curry
- 2 cups tofu cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 10 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste (or green chilli sauce)
- 1/4 cup puree of basil and coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (thick)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Basil leaves, coriander leaves and red chilli flakes for garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- In a non stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and sliced onion. Saute for a minute.
- Add green chilli paste, vinegar and peanut butter. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and keep stirring so that the peanut butter melts smoothly.
- Add tofu and salt. Simmer it for four to five minutes.
- Lower the flame and add coconut milk. Cook for one minute.
- Remove from flame and add coriander and basil leaves puree. Mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander, basil and crushed red pepper.
- Serve hot with steamed brown or white rice.
Photograph: Sara Jane/Creative Commons
Do you have an interesting recipe you would like to share?
Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'Recipes') with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.