Reader Rama Muralidharan tells us how to make crispy Vegetable Croquettes at home.
Here's the recipe.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup soaked and drained soya granules
- 2 cups finely chopped mixed vegetables ( carrot, beetroot, beans, peas, capsicum, cauliflower, broccoli)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dhania jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp maida or whole wheat flour
- 1 and 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Oil to deep fry
- In a non stick pan, heat oil. Add grated ginger.
- Add 2 cups of mixed vegetables and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. The vegetables should be cooked but not too soft.
- Add soaked and drained soya granules.
- Add salt, turmeric, dhania jeera powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder and cook for two minutes. Let it cool.
- Add mashed potatoes to the vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Take a lemon size ball of mixture and roll it in your palms to make smooth oval shapes.
- In a bowl make a smooth paste of maida with water. It should not be too thick and have a batter-like consistency.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate. Take the oval-shaped croquet and dip it in the batter.
- Drip off the excess batter and coat it evenly with the bread crumbs. Repeat the process with all the croquettes. (You may put these in a freezer in an air tight container and deep fry later. Do not thaw. Fry immediately.)
- Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry the croquettes in small batches on medium heat.
- Fry till they get a deep golden colour. Place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice.
Note: Fried croquettes can also be frozen in a freezer safe airtight container. To use the frozen croquettes, thaw them for an hour and then microwave it to heat it.
Image: Rama Muralidharan
You can send us your favourite recipes too. Write in to us at email@example.com (subject: Favourite recipes) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.