Rediff reader Asiya from Hyderabad shares a Moong Dal Khichdi recipe.
Moong Dal (yellow dal) Khichdi is easy to make and healthy too.
Here's the recipe:
- 4 cups of rice
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large size onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1-2 cardamoms
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- Heat a cooking vessel, add oil.
- Add cinnamon sticks, caraway seeds, cardamom and saute.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they turn slightly golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well to get rid of the raw smell.
- Add moong dal, turmeric powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add water (8 cups of water for 4 cups of rice).
- Add salt. Bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- Add washed rice, stir well. Allow the rice to cook on medium flame till all the water is absorbed.
- Once the water is absorbed, cover the lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame. This step ensures that rice is well cooked.
- Pour ghee over the top and serve with any chutney or curry.