Rediff reader and food blogger Swasthi B shares this healthy Quinoa Salad recipe that will keep you fuller longer.
You can share your favourite recipes too!
This is a very good breakfast or snack option for folks on a Low GI diet, and for diabetics and pregnant women with gestational diabetics. Quinoa can be replaced with any cooked millet in the recipe," says Swasthi.
Here's the recipe ofr Quinoa Salad:
Preparation time: 8 hours (for soaking)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 small tomato chopped or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 to 4 fresh mint leaves
- Few celery or coriander leaves
- Generous pinch of pepper powder
- 1/2 cup soaked chana (chhole)
- 2 tbsp carrots minced or grated
- 3 tbsp cucumber minced or grated
- Deseeded green chili minced
- Virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt as needed
More chopped fresh vegetables can be added. Cabbage, lettuce, spring onions and onions go well with this salad.
- Wash and soak chana overnight and boil them till soft. Keep aside.
- Wash quinoa several times. Soak for about 15 minutes and drain the water.
- Add 3/4 cup fresh water and cook till they turn opaque. Any excess water should be evaporated by cooking for little longer. Fluff up with a fork. Let it cool.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and toss until well mixed.
- Serve as breakfast, snack or dinner.
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.