Want to impress your guests with something traditional yet delicious? Chef Manish Kusumwal of Keys Hotels shares his special recipe.
Netholi meen fry (Kerala-style fried anchovies)
- ½ kg netholi/anchovy
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 2 springs of curry leaves
- 2 lemons (1 cut in wedges for garnish)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Onion rings for garnish
For the marinade:
- 8 small shallots
- ½ inch ginger
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp chilli powder (as per taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper corn
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp crushed whole coriander
- Clean the fish (netholi/anchovy) and pat dry using a paper kitchen towel. Grind the ingredients listed for the marinade (except coriander) and make it a fine paste. Add just enough water to grind. Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- Marinate cleaned fish and add crushed coriander and curry leaves. Keep it aside for 30 minutes. Before frying, add rice flour as it makes it crispy.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Add the marinated fish to the pan. Deep fry the fish over medium-high flame until done. It would turn into golden colour.
- Remove from pan on a kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Garnish with onion rings and lemon wedges.
Note: You can also use coconut oil for frying.