Have you tried this interesting dessert made with flattened rice, milk and nuts?
While sevai and sabudana kheer are some of the most popular preparations during the festive season, here's a delicious dessert recipe made with flattened rice.
- 1 cup thin poha
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- Handful of assorted nuts (cashews, pistachios and almonds)
- 1 cup powdered sugar or cup melted jaggery
- 4 tbsp ghee
- Add 1 cup water to 2 cups of milk, bring to boil and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat two tbsp ghee and dry roast the poha for a minute.
- Add milk and let it simmer. Allow the poha to cook in the milk.
- Add melted jaggery or sugar to the mixture and stir for a minute.
- Take it off the flame.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining ghee and roast the nuts.
- Garnish the payasam with nuts and serve hot.
Image: Divya Kudua/Creative Commons
Do you have an interesting festive recipe that you’d like to share with our readers?
Simply e-mail your recipe to email@example.com (subject line: 'Festive recipes') with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph, if possible.
We will publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.