Rediff reader Debjani Chatterjee shares the recipes of this delicious Bengali sweet also known as Pran Hara.
Kancha Golla is a popular sweet from the state of West Bengal made with Chena (cottage cheese).
Here's the recipe:
- 3 litre full cream milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 250 gm khoya/mawa
- 250 gm nolen gur (if unavailable, use same quantity of sugar)
How to make chena (paneer)
- Boil entire milk in a deep vessel on medium flame.
- Mix lemon juice in 1 cup of water. Gradually add to boiling milk.
- When milk starts curdling cook for another five minutes.
- When you see water separating from the milk solid remove from flame.
- Strain the water with the help of a clean cotton/muslin cloth and collect the chena.
- Run fresh water over the chena for one minute to get rid of the lemon flavour.
- Tie the cloth and place a weight over it for 15 minutes.
How to reduce cream
- Heat fresh cream in a pan on low flame and reduce it to a thicker version (like a cold cream). Keep aside.
How to make Kacha Golla
- Mash chena using your hands or in a food processor and divide it into two equal portions.
- Take one portion along with nolen gur in a non-stick pan and cook on low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir continuously.
- Mix the cooked chena along with the plain one, reduced cream and mawa properly.
- Make small balls out of the mixture.
- You may garnish the gollas with chopped dry fruits as well.
- Refrigerate and serve as required.
Note: If not refrigerated, Kancha Golla should be consumed within 24 hours of preparation.
Image Courtesy: Debjani Chatterjee
- How to make Baked Chaki Puris
- How to make Nankhatai
- How to make Khus Khus Badam Halwa
- How to make melt-in-your-mouth Gulab Jamuns
- How to make Mango Halwa
- How to make Coconut Laddoos
- How to make Rajasthani Ghevar
- How to make Mohanthal
- How to make Doda Barfi
- How to make Shahi Tukda
- How to make Kashi Halwa
- How to make Beetroot Coconut Barfi
- How to make Chocolate Marshmallow Pops
- How to make Malai Laddoos
- How to make Besan Rava Laddoo
- How to make Motichoor Ladoos
- How to make Milk Kalakand
- How to make Zucchini Coconut Laddoos
- How to make Gulab Halwa
- How to make Paan Shots
- How to make Chocolate Fudge