Dr Nimish Shah has a checklist for you.
Coronavirus has been ruling this year and the battle is still not over.
As 2020 draws to an end, people across the globe are resuming their regular routines.
This calls for a change in the way they think about safety and hygiene, especially in their homes, schools and workspaces.
It is time to go beyond regular cleaning and ensure we disinfect our surroundings to keep the virus at bay.
Disinfecting is an advanced form of sanitising that helps in reducing the potential spread of the COVID-19 infection.
While cleaning removes dirt and germs from objects, it may not kill them.
Disinfecting, on the other hand, is about killing germs.
Even WHO has highlighted the need to prioritise areas for disinfection and the importance of knowing how to disinfect correctly.
The Novel Coronavirus is extremely contagious. Hence, it is important to disinfect frequently touched surfaces and surroundings regularly to avoid the spread of the virus.
WHO recommends using chlorine-based products like sodium hypochlorite at 0.1 per cent for general disinfection in context of COVID-19.
Sodium hypochlorite has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity and is one of the fastest acting disinfectants.
Here are a few more tips to ensure more cohesive protection against the virus:
1. Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces with good household sodium hypochlorite-based disinfectants.
High-touch surfaces are places which you touch the most -- like doorknobs, handles, light switches, drawers, side tables, the backs of chairs, kettles, doors, windows, toilet seats and dining tables.
2. Mop your floors at least once a day with a disinfectant that has a powerful sodium hypochlorite base.
3. Ensure you follow the instructions mentioned on the packaging of the disinfectant.
4. Clearly differentiate the water for cleaning your dishes, floor and laundry.
5. Any cloth used to clean the house should be soaked in a sodium hypochlorite solution for 30 minutes for it to be disinfected properly.
6. While flushing the toilet after every use, it is recommended to put the toilet lid down and then step back to flush it.
7. Washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds before and after cleaning the house.
Our efforts to combat COVID-19 in a planned and thought-through manner will eventually lead us in winning the battle against it.
Dr Nimish Shah is the managing director, India Chapter, Toilet Board Coalition and author of Swachha Bharat For Swastha Bharat. He is also the sanitation and hygiene knowledge partner for Domex.