rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Racism on football pitch: Allegations against Fabregas, Terry

Racism on football pitch: Allegations against Fabregas, Terry

Last updated on: October 24, 2011 11:08 IST

Fabregas denies racially abusing Kanoute

     Next

Next

Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas denied on Sunday that he racially abused Sevilla's Malian striker Frederic Kanoute in Saturday's 0-0 La Liga draw at the Nou Camp and the pair later settled their differences by telephone.

"I want to categorically deny that I made any kind of racist insult towards any Sevilla player," the Spanish international and former Arsenal captain wrote on his Twitter account after local media reported the accusation.

"I will not tolerate anyone accusing me of things that I'm not," added the 24-year-old.

"If they are frustrated by a decision that has gone against them on the football pitch then there are others ways to deal with it.

"To cry racism is cowardly and an easy option to excuse your own poor behaviour. My conscience is completely clear. I've done nothing wrong."

Kanoute said he had been "provoked and insulted" during a mass brawl which erupted after Barca were awarded a penalty in second-half stoppage time. He did not mention Fabregas by name or use the word racist.

Before the penalty kick was taken, an angry Kanoute kicked the ball away from the spot and appeared to grab Fabregas around the throat before being sent off. Lionel Messi's effort was then saved by goalkeeper Javi Varas.


Image: Cesc Fabregas is grabbed by the throat (left) as Barcelona and Sevilla players argue after a penalty during their La Liga match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona on Saturday
Photographs: Reuters
     Next

'We both apologised and agreed the matter was settled'

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Kanoute wrote on his Twitter account that he regretted the incident -- which came at the end of UEFA's Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) week -- saying it "was not a good example".

"Nonetheless there was provocation and insult, as you are already aware," the former Tottenham Hotspur player said.

"But don't think about it anymore. His behaviour, like mine, was bad. Issue closed. Let's get on with the football."

Fabregas and Kanoute later spoke by telephone and said they had said sorry.

"We both apologised and agreed the matter was settled," Fabregas Tweeted.

Kanoute added on his Twitter feed: "The issue was explained and we are both adults and aware that we were at fault yesterday. The matter is closed."

Fabregas's Barca teammate Daniel Alves defended the Spaniard at a news conference following a Barca training session on Sunday.

"There are moments when your pulse is racing and you don't say please when you are asking for things," the Brazilian defender said.

"But it's clear there was no racist insult, above all from Cesc, who is a fantastic lad and would never do that."


Image: Cesc Fabreas lays on the pitch after a scuffle with Sevilla players
Photographs: Getty Images
Prev     Next

Terry denies racially abusing QPR's Ferdinand

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Chelsea captain John Terry denied making a racist slur against defender Anton Ferdinand, brother of Manchester United's Rio, during the 1-0 defeat at Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League on Sunday.

The 30-year-old England skipper issued a statement after video footage was posted on the internet.

"I'm disappointed people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand," Terry said. "I thought Anton was accusing me of using a racist slur against him.

"I responded aggressively, saying I never used that term. I would never say such a thing and I'm saddened people would think so."

Terry said there was no problem between him and Ferdinand when the pair spoke after the game which Chelsea lost after being reduced to nine men in the first half.


Image: Ashley Cole of Chelsea argues with Anton Ferdinand of Queens Park Rangers (right) during their EPL match on Sunday
Photographs: Getty Images
Prev     Next

'I am saddened to be dealing with these wrongful allegations'

Prev     More
Prev

More

"I congratulated him on their win. He has not accused me of any wrongful remark," Terry added. "It was clear it was all a misunderstanding at the time.

"After the result today I am saddened to be dealing with these wrongful allegations.

"I am the proud captain of one of the most internationally diverse teams in the Premier League and I absolutely believe there is no place for racism in sport and indeed in any walk of life."

Last week Manchester United defender Patrice Evra accused Liverpool striker Luis Suarez of racially abusing him in their 1-1 draw at Anfield.

The Uruguayan has denied any wrongdoing and the Football Association is investigating the matter.


Image: Queen's Park Rangers's goalkeeper Paddy Kenny (left) and Chelsea's John Terry confront each other during their EPL match on Sunday
Photographs: Reuters
Prev     More
Source:
© Copyright 2014 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.