rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Newcastle's Pardew banned for seven games for head-butt

Newcastle's Pardew banned for seven games for head-butt

March 11, 2014 21:34 IST

Alan PardewNewcastle United manager Alan Pardew will be banned from the touchline for seven matches following his head-butt on Hull City's David Meyler, the Football Association said on Tuesday.

The 52-year-old, who had already admitted a misconduct charge prior to Tuesday's personal FA hearing, will be banned from stadiums for the first three matches and he will be barred from the touchline for the remaining four.

Pardew was also fined 60,000 pounds by the FA and warned about his future conduct.

Following the incident on March 1, when he pushed his forehead into Meyler on the touchline following a melee, Newcastle fined Pardew 100,000 pounds.

"As I have made clear, I deeply regret the incident and again wholeheartedly apologise to all parties for my conduct, which I understand was not acceptable," Pardew said in a statement on Newcastle's website on Tuesday.

"I will accept the punishment handed down by the FA today. My focus now turns to preparing the team for this weekend's game against Fulham and finishing the season as strongly as possible."

Newcastle are eighth in the Premier League standings with 10 matches left this season.

Image: Alan Pardew

Photograph: Nigel Roddis/Reuters

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.