NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Chowrasia, Lahiri improve on rain-hit Day 2 in Singapore

Chowrasia, Lahiri improve on rain-hit Day 2 in Singapore

November 09, 2012 17:16 IST

Indian golfers SSP Chowrasia and Anirban Lahiri completed their opening round and improved their positions before rain left them stranded midway through the second round at the Barclay's Singapore Open on Friday.

Weather played spoilsport again, as more than half the field was yet to begin their second round. In fact, none of the players who played in Thursday's first session got any action.

India's best-placed players on the first day, Himmat Rai and Jyoti Randhawa, both two-under in the first round, were left cooling their heels in the clubhouse as were Shiv Kapur and Gaganjeet Bhullar.

Both Chowrasia and Lahiri, who got to play a substantial bit of the second round, were two-under for the tournament with five and nine holes to play respectively.

Chapchai NiratSimon Dyson, a former Asian Tour Order of Merit winner, and Thai Chapchai Nirat, who has practiced to be a monk in the past, shared the clubhouse lead at six-under.

Dyson has five more to play in the second round, while Chapchai has nine holes more to go.

Of the other Indian players, Chiragh, who was one-over for the first round, which he completed on Friday morning, needing to play nine holes this morning, played the first nine of his second round in two-under to come to even par for the tournament.

Shamim, two-over in first round, was two-over through 15 holes in the second round to go four-over, while Digvijay was two-over through 10 to become five-over. Jeev Milkha Singh had pulled out and Rashid Khan (76) retired after the first round.

Chowrasia, who played 13 holes from his first round and then eight in the second, completed his opening round in 70. He then began his second round with a birdie to be one-under through eight holes in his incomplete second round and was two-under for the tournament.

Lahiri started with a double bogey on tenth, but fought back very strongly with four birdies and no bogeys after that before rain and thunder halted play for the day.

Jose Maria Zamora, the Tournament Director, in a statement said: "At present, our aim is still to complete 72 holes, weather permitting. We hope to finish the second round at approximately 3.15pm tomorrow, at which time there will be a re-draw for round three, which will not start before 4pm.

"The third and fourth rounds would then be played with the same draw, which would allow us to finish at approximately 5.15pm on Sunday, provided there are no further delays.

"However, if we do suffer more delays we would then decide, in consultation with the sponsor and promoter, whether to reduce the tournament to 54 holes or complete the fourth round on Monday."

Weather has been a huge problem for the tournament. Since its revival in 2005, the tournament has twice been reduced to 54 holes -- in 2006 and 2011. It went the full 72 holes and finished on Sunday in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009, but spilled over to Monday in 2010. Last year it was a three-day 54-hole affair ending on a Monday.

The organisers looked to make up for lost time with a quick turnaround after the completion of the first round and Dyson starting the second round on the 10th, promptly birdied the 12th, 14th, 18th and first in his first 13 holes to join Chapchai on six-under. Then thunderstorms arrived and no further play was possible.

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.