rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Champions League: Carvalho banned for first leg against Barca

Champions League: Carvalho banned for first leg against Barca

April 14, 2011 09:52 IST

Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho will miss this month's Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona through suspension.

The Portuguese international was ruled out of the match in two weeks after being booked in the first half of Wednesday's 1-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur.

ricardo carvalhoHowever, the good news for Real is that defender Pepe will be available against Barca after being banned for the game at Tottenham.

With Real already 4-0 up from last week's first leg against Spurs, coach Jose Mourinho substituted two of his players in the second half at White Hart Lane to avoid the duo possibly suffering the same fate as Carvalho.

"As time passed Spurs became less of a threat, we got hold of the ball more and managed to control the game more," said Mourinho.

"As a result I was able to take off two of the players already on yellow cards -- Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo," the coach told reporters after his side romped to a 5-0 aggregate victory.

Source:
© Copyright 2018 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.