Zinedine Zidane has stepped down as Real Madrid coach after leading the Spanish club to a third successive Champions League title.
Here are some key facts about Zidane:
- Born 23 June, 1972 in Marseille, France.
- Began his playing career with AS Cannes and made his professional debut in May 1989.
- Moved to Girondins Bordeaux in 1992 and scored 28 goals in 139 league appearances during four seasons.
- Moved to Juventus in 1996. Helped the club win two Serie A titles in his first two seasons. Won the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup with Juventus.
- Played in the Champions League final in 1997 and 1998 but Juventus were beaten both times, by Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid respectively.
- Became the world's most expensive player in 2001 as he moved from Juventus to Real Madrid for 77.5 million euros ($90.68 million).
- Helped Real Madrid win the Champions League in 2002 with a majestic winner in the 2-1 final victory over Bayer Leverkusen. Also won the Intercontinental Cup as Real beat South American champions Olimpia 2-0.
- Won the Liga title with Real Madrid in 2003.
- Made France debut in 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic in August 1994. Scored two goals in 17 minutes after coming on as a second-half
- During the 1998 World Cup, was sent off after 70 minutes of France's 4-0 first-round victory over Saudi Arabia and missed the next two matches. Headed in two first-half goals to help France win their first World Cup with a 3-0 victory over Brazil.
- Named player of the tournament as he helped France to victory in Euro 2000.
- Retired from international soccer in August 2004 but a year later announced his comeback. Having already said he would retire after the 2006 World Cup, he helped France reach the final against Italy.
- Zidane was sent off during extra time in the final for butting Italy defender Marco Materazzi in the chest. Italy went on to win the title in the penalty shootout.
- FIFA World Player of the Year - 1998, 2000, 2003.
- Ballon d'Or: 1998
- European Player of the Year - 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- In 2013, Zidane was appointed assistant coach to Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid.
- Zidane replaced sacked Real manager Rafa Benitez in January 2016.
- Became the first manager to win three European Cup titles in a row.
- Zidane also guided the club to a Liga title in the 2016-17 season and two FIFA Club World Cup crowns.
LIST OF MANAGERIAL HONOURS
La Liga: 2016–17
Spanish Super Cup: 2017
UEFA Champions League: 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
UEFA Super Cup: 2016, 2017
FIFA Club World Cup: 2016, 2017
INDIVIDUAL MANAGERIAL AWARDS
The Best FIFA Football Coach: 2017
World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year: 2017