Modi sarkar's 19 COMMANDMENTS to babus
In a major move, the Modi sarkar has amended service rules to ensure that Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service and Indian Forest Service officers maintain “high ethics” and “political neutrality” while discharging their duties.
The new diktats issued by Prime Minister Narendra Modi are part of an amendment to the All India Service (Conduct) Rules issued in 1968 which serve as a charter for all civil servants.
His new rules for IAS, IPS and IFos officers include taking decisions in the public interest, to be courteous and responsive to the public and exhibit high degree of professionalism.
Here are a few of the rules listed below:
- Officers needs to be responsive to the public, particularly to the weaker section
- Ensure courtesy and good behaviour with the public and take decisions solely in public interest
- Declare any private interests relating to his public duties and take steps to resolve conflicts in a way that protects the public interest.
- The officers should not place himself under any financial or other obligations to any individual or organisation which may influence him in the performance of his official duties
- Every member of the service shall not misuse his position as civil servant and not take decisions in order to derive financial or material benefits for himself, his family or his friends
- Maintain confidentiality in the performance of his official duties
- Maintain high ethical standards, integrity and honesty, political neutrality; promote principles of merit, fairness and impartiality in the discharge of duties and accountability and transparency
- Make choices, take decisions and make recommendations on merit alone
- Act with fairness and impartiality and not discriminate against anyone, particularly the poor and the under-privileged sections of society
- Use public resources efficiently, effectively and economically and act with fairness and impartiality and not discriminate against anyone, particularly the poor and the under-privileged sections of society.
- Maintain discipline in the discharge of his duties and be liable to implement the lawful orders duly communicated to him and, perform and discharge his duties with the highest degree of professionalism and dedication to the best of his abilities.
Image: Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Photographs: Kevin Frayer/Getty Images