rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Three more arrested over killing of UK soldier

Three more arrested over killing of UK soldier

May 26, 2013 17:49 IST

British police have arrested three more persons in connection with the murder of a soldier who was butchered and beheaded on a busy London street this week by two suspected Islamist extremists.

Two men, aged 24 and 28, were detained at an address in south-east London on Saturday, while a 21-year-old man was arrested in the street in Charlton Lane, Greenwich, all of whom were held on suspicion of the conspiracy to commit the murder of soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich on Wednesday.

Police from the Counter Terrorism Command, supported by specialist firearms officers, used Tasers to detain the 21-year-old and the 28-year-old. They did not need hospital

treatment.

The suspects arrested were not named by the security agencies.

The arrests came as Downing Street confirmed the launch of a new terror task force to crack down on extremism.

The group, comprising of Cabinet ministers and top police and security service officials, will focus on radical preachers who seek out potential recruits in prisons, schools, colleges and mosques.

Prime Minister David Cameron has also announced that the parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee will carry out an investigation following the disclosure that the two men suspected of the murder, identified as Michael Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale, 22, were known to MI5.

Police last night refused to comment on reports that Adebowale was arrested two months ago.

Authorities in France were also investigating whether the murder of Rigby was linked to an attack on a French soldier, who was stabbed in the neck in a busy shopping area near Paris on Saturday.

The latest arrests in London took place last evening, and the three men are being held at a south London police station, Scotland Yard said.

Officers were last night also searched four addresses in south-east London.

Searches have also taken place at three other addresses in south London, one in east London, one in north London and one in Saxilby, Lincolnshire, the former home of Adebolajo.

A 29-year-old man arrested earlier on suspicion of conspiracy to murder has now been released on bail, police said on Saturday night.

Two women aged 29 and 31 have also been released without charges after they were held on Thursday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, and a number of other people not directly involved with the attack have been charged over malicious comments made on social networking sites.

Adebolajo and Adebowale remained in a stable condition in hospital after being shot by police.

Drummer Rigby was hit by a car and then attacked with weapons including a knife and a meat cleaver on May 22. The cause of his death has not yet been confirmed by a postmortem examination.

The young father's murder has provoked a backlash of anger across the country, with mosques being attacked, widespread racial abuse, comments on social media and a large increase in anti-Muslim incidents.

Up to 2,000 people took part in a English Defence League march in Newcastle, which had been planned before Wednesday's attack.

H S Rao in London
© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.