Indian Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi, while speaking about the explosion on board the Indian Navy's submarine INS Sindhurakshak in Mumbai on Wednesday, said there was "nothing to be hidden if there were any errors" behind the incident.
He was responding to a question by Rediff.com, on whether the findings of the Board of Inquiry, which will look into the explosion and the subsequent submerging of the submarine, will be made public.
He stated, "Family members of all those trapped in the incident have been sent a message".
When Rediff.com asked him whether it was accident or incident, the Admiral said, "It was an accident".
On the possibility of any of the 18 naval personnel trapped inside the submarine still being alive, he said, "Miracles toh hote hain (miracles do happen)."
The BoI will complete its probe in four weeks and hand over the report to the navy headquarters which will then submit the report to the defence ministry.
He added that there was nothing to suggest that any kind of sabotage has caused the accident.
“The BoI will cover the entire spectrum of possibilities including sabotage,” he said.
The navy chief was quizzed about China Navy's hospital ship -- the Arkpeace -- which had left Mumbai's shores on August 12.
Responding to a query on what kind of protocol was followed when ships of other nations visited Indian ports, he claimed that all the necessary protocols were maintained.
He informed that three navy officials, who were on top of the submarine, had received minor injuries. They had been treated at the Indian Navy’s hospital INS Ashwini and then discharged.
Of the 18 trapped inside the submarine, three were officers and 15 were sailors, said Admiral Joshi.
As of now, the Indian Navy had not decided on a time frame to salvage the submarine or find the survivors, he said.
Image: Ships and boats belonging to the Indian Navy are seen docked at the naval dockyard in Mumbai ' Photograph: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters