Actor Sanjay Dutt, who was jailed in the 1993 bomb blasts case, has sought a second extension of his parole to be with his wife Manyata, who is recovering from a surgery, police said on Sunday.
The actor was granted a month's parole from Pune's Yerwada Jail from December 21 for the second time after he spent all of October at home in Mumbai on leave from prison.
He was supposed to return to jail on January 21 but he sought an extension of his temporary release from jail by another month (till February 21) which was granted by authorities.
Now he has applied for another month-long extension, saying he wants to take care of his wife Manyata, who underwent surgery recently.
The actor has requested Pune's Divisional Commissioner seeking an extension of his parole. The Commissioner in turn has asked Khar police station in Mumbai (Dutt's residence comes under its jurisdiction) to carry out verification of the reason cited by the actor for pleading for further relief.
Accordingly, the Khar police will respond to the Pune Divisional Commissioner after carrying out the verification process in a few days, sources said.
Manyata, reported to be suffering from multiple ailments of the heart and liver, was admitted to the Global Hospital in Parel, Mumbai in January.
The 53-year-old actor is serving the remaining 42 months of his sentence for illegal possession of arms in a case related to the 1993 serial blasts, in which over 250 people were killed and several hundred wounded.
In early 2013, the Supreme Court upheld his conviction and awarded him a five-year prison term. He has already served 18 months of his jail term.
The actor was shifted to Pune's Yerwada Central Jail in May last year, nearly a week after he surrendered before a Special Court in Mumbai.
In the past, Dutt has faced several protests outside his home and jail for his parole requests.