NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » Pampore attack ends 56 hours later, 2 terrorists killed

Pampore attack ends 56 hours later, 2 terrorists killed

Last updated on: October 12, 2016 19:07 IST

A 56-hour gun battle between militants and security forces in Pampore ended on Wednesday with the killing of two ultras who were holed up in a government building on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.

IMAGE: Security jawans stand guard out side the multi-storied government building as combing operations continue after the encounter came to an end. Photograph: S Irfan/PTI photo

"We have recovered bodies of two militants and the search operation at the Entrepreneurship Development Institute building in Pampore has been completed," an army official said.

The militants had struck the imposing EDI building in February this year as well. Five security force personnel including two young army officers and a civilian employee of the Institute and three militants were killed in that operation which lasted 48 hours.

Adopting a cautious approach, the security forces pounded the EDI building since Monday to flush out the militants suspected to be of Lashker-e-Tayiba.

"We have taken our time. This is one building and it has 60 rooms. It has a ground floor, six floors and one attic. 60 rooms have as many bathrooms. That is the reason it takes time to clear each and every room," Major General Ashok Naurla said, adding the clearing operation had started this morning.

IMAGE: A jawan carried rocket launchers during the final assault on the EDI building on third day of encounter. Photograph: Umar Ganie

"We took our time to eliminate the terrorists to avoid collateral damage," he told reporters at the end of the operation.

Regretting the targeting of the building by militants for the second time in the year, the Army officer said, "EDI is a centre of excellence and a lot of our young brethren get employment. And it is very sad that for the second time they have come and an encounter has happened."

While one militant was killed last evening, the other militant was shot dead by the security forces on Wednesday, another official said.

The operation, which started on Monday, has reduced the multi-storey building to a skeleton after many of its walls were blown up.

IMAGE: ecurity forces take positions out side the multi-storied government building, where militants are holed up, at Pampore. Photograph: S Irfan/PTI photo

The official said the aim of the terrorists was to cause casualties among the security forces and prolong the stand off as long as they could.

In the initial exchange of firing, one army soldier was injured, the official said.

Terrorists had targeted the EDI building in February this year as well. Five security force personnel including two young army officers and a civilian employee of the institute and three militants were killed in that operation which lasted 48 hours. 

The ultras could have entered the complex from the riverside but it is yet to be ascertained, an official said.

IMAGE: Army officials inspecting the EDI budiling after the encounter in which two militants were killed. Photograph: Umar Ganie

After getting inside the complex, the militants set afire few mattresses inside a hostel room to attract the attention of the police and other security forces, which arrived within minutes of the smoke emanating from the building.

General Officer Commanding of Victor Force Major General Ashok Narula said army cordoned off the area on Monday around 7 am after getting information about the presence of militants.

"We cordoned off the area after there was firing from the building. We brought in more forces and started our operation," he said.

IMAGE: Most part of the concrete building has been reduced to a skeleton as many of its walls have been blown up. Photograph: PTI photo

Flanked by Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, S J M Geelani, he said the operation was very tedious and security forces followed the drill effectively to eliminate the holed up militants.

"It was a very lengthy operation because EDI is a very huge building. We did not want to have any collateral damage because there were chances of civilians being inside. All those people were taken out," he said.

Major General Narula said there was a drill for every thing and "we cannot do it in haste".

IMAGE: The security forces surround the building after the terrorists were killed. Photograph: Umar Ganie

"The day before yesterday we started the operation and yesterday we kept working on this. Then today morning we started the clearing operation. At this moment, there are two people who have been eliminated and the two weapons have been recovered," he said.

IGP said the aim of the militants to occupy the building was two-pronged--to cause maximum causalities to security forces and to draw attention as they knew the operation will take time.

IMAGE: The security forces have been using mortar shells, Light Machine Guns and other small arms to flush out the terrorists. Photograph: S Irfan/PTI photo

"Our people are alert. We are prepared for any eventuality," he said, adding, "the deployment that has to be done in terms of defensive posturing that is being done and also in terms of pro-active operations, they would also be conducted."

In the initial exchange of firing, one army soldier was injured.                                                                        

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.