The death toll in a devastating suicide attack on a playground in northwest Pakistan on Sunday rose to 100 as five persons succumbed to their injuries in hospitals, police said.
A total of 87 people were injured in Friday's attack atShah Hasankhel village and many of them are still being treated in Bannu, Lakki Marwat and Peshawar, officials said. Over 30 houses collapsed following the high-intensity explosion.
Lakki Marwat district police chief Muhammad Ayub Tanoli said 41 suspects had been arrested during the investigation into the attack. The rescue operation at Shah Hasankhel had been completed and the debris of collapsed buildings had been removed, he said.
The bomber, who was in an SUV packed with an estimated 300 kg of explosives, drove into the middle of the playground
and blew himself. Scores of people were watching a volleyball game between two local teams at the time. Dozens died instantly and witnesses said the bodies of some players could not be found as they were blown to bits.
This was one of the deadliest attacks to have hit Pakistan where over 500 people have been killed since October