rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » JMM to choose allies before floor test

JMM to choose allies before floor test

May 24, 2010 23:37 IST

Expressing surprise over Bharatiya Janata Party's decision to withdraw support to the Shibu Soren government, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha on Monday said the party chief would choose his allies in the run up to the floor test but did not come clear if any deal was made with the Congress.

"We don't know under what circumstances BJP took the decision even before tomorrow's deadline. Everything was decided and JMM even gave in writing to BJP to take over the reins with our support," JMM legislative party leader Hemant Soren told a press conference in Ranchi.

The JMM legislative party meeting was held after BJP's withdrawal of support and the party has authorised the chief minister to decide on the future shape of his coalition, he said.

"We will put everything before you (media) within two or three days," he said, adding they were opposed to President's rule in Jharkhand.

Asked whether the party would opt for mid-term polls, Hemant said, "JMM is never scared of elections as it has the people with it."

"Everything was settled with BJP and things were to unfold step by step. We sought some time to get consensus and bring all MLAs on one platform, but even before tomorrow's deadline, BJP took the decision to withdraw support," Hemant said.

"I think there must be some confusion over this, but the decision was theirs," he said. He, however, did not give a direct reply when asked whether JMM was currently in a dialogue with Congress, saying, "Talks do happen with many, be it Congress, JVM, AJSU, RJD or JD-U. But we agreed to help BJP to form the government in writing."

Asked even if Soren sailed through the floor test how could he fight the bye-polls to enter the assembly by June-end, Hemant Soren said even governor M O H Farooq reminded the chief minister during their meeting that Shibu Soren has to win a by-poll, otherwise he would have to resign by June 29.

"The chief minister replied to the governor that if such a situation arises he would certainly take a decision," Hemant said.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.