NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » Indian toddler may have been hurt in an accident: Aus cops

Indian toddler may have been hurt in an accident: Aus cops

March 08, 2010 20:41 IST

The three-year-old Indian toddler, whose body was found near Melbourne days ago, may have been hurt in an accident before being put in a car boot and dumped by a part-time taxi driver, who has been arrested and charged over the death, a media report said on Monday.

Parents of Gurshan Singh Channa have been told by the police that their son may have been hurt by an accident before being put in a car boot and dumped near Melbourne Airport, the Herald Sun reported.

"Sources within Melbourne's Sikh community say family members had been told that the three-year-old could have been unintentionally injured last Thursday," the report said.

Dhillon Gursewak, the 23-year-old Indian taxi driver, is accused of leaving with Gurshan in a car and driving around for three hours before dumping the toddler.

The nature of the charge -- manslaughter by criminal negligence -- indicates investigators believe Gurshan may have lived if medical help had been summoned, the report said.

Meanwhile, the Australian police said no further arrest has been made in the high-profile case. After the arrest of Gursewak, it was speculated that another woman was likely to be arrested.

The woman, believed to be Gursewak's wife, was expected to be charged for helping him in disposing off the body. However, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said, "Definitely not.
The wife has not been arrested or charged."

Homicide detectives alleged in Sunday night's court hearing that Dhillon had put Gurshan in the boot unconscious, believing he was still alive.

Harjit Singh Channa, father of the toddler, said he and his son's 'killer' had no frictions between themselevs.

"There were no old frictions in the families," Channa told the paper.

Gurshan's uncle Deep Singh said they were all shocked when Dhillon was charged.

"This is our friend, not a close friend, but we know the person, it is a shock, (we are) shocked man," he said.

Gurshan Singh died after being driven around suburban Melbourne in the boot of a car, unconscious, before being left where his body was found, said the police.

Gurshan's parents earlier spoke to detectives and attended a prayer service at a Sikh temple at Craigieburn.

Singh said the family was grateful for the show of support. "We are very thankful to the Indian community, Punjabi community and Australian people," he said adding, "they all are coming forward to help us."

Natasha Chaku In Melbourne
© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.