rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Indian-origin man found guilty of bomb threat in US

Indian-origin man found guilty of bomb threat in US

July 24, 2012 10:14 IST

An Indian-origin man, who called himself a "terrorist", has been found guilty by a jury of threatening to blow up a medical firm in Connecticut and faces up to 10 years in prison.

Shaneel Jain, 56, was convicted of one count of making a bomb threat and one count of false information and hoaxes.

He would be sentenced on October 16 when he could be ordered to pay a million dollar fine, US Attorney for the District of Connecticut David Fein said.

Jain had been released on bond since his arrest on March 19 this year and currently lives in Rhode Island.

According to the evidence presented during the trial, which began last week, Jain made a series of telephone calls in April 2010 from India to Z-Medica, a Connecticut-based company that produces QuickClot, a medical agent that rapidly stops bleeding outside the surgical setting.

QuickClot is used by the US military and the militaries of some allied countries.

At the time, Jain was engaged in a civil law suit with Z-Medica based on their prior business relationship.

During these phone calls, Jain threatened to bomb Z-Medica within 24 hours, saying he was a "terrorist".

He said he had bombed facilities before and that the American law "could not touch" him.

As a result of the threat, FBI and the Connecticut State Police conducted searches of Z-Medica's facilities.

Z-Medica also cancelled shifts, which resulted in an order for QuickClot being delayed.

The company also utilised private security for several weeks. No bomb or other explosive was ever found at Z-Medica.

Yoshita Singh in New York
© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.