rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Delhi HC blast: A week on, no breakthrough in probe

Delhi HC blast: A week on, no breakthrough in probe

September 13, 2011 21:42 IST

There has been no breakthrough yet in the investigations of seven persons detained by Jammu and Kashmir police in Kishtwar town of Jammu region in connection with the Delhi high court blast.

Police sources said five of the seven persons were released, while two are still being questioned by the sleuths, but so far no breakthrough has been achieved as cops are still verifying facts.

The National Investigation Agency team had also visited the town and were associated with the questioning process of the detained persons.

Sources said the team has left Kishtwar town and have carried the computer hard disk with them for further analysis.

The NIA had alerted the Jammu and Kashmir police last week after the Harkatul Jihadi Islami email which was traced to a cyber café in Kishtwar. Subsequently, seven persons including the two cyber café owners were detained for questioning. Kishtwar observed a partial shutdown yesterday against the detentions.

A dozen persons were killed and 93 others were wounded in a powerful bomb explosion outside the Delhi high court last week. Meanwhile the state government has written to police chiefs of various states not to detain Kashmiris without informing it.

The state home commissioner in separate letters has asked the police chiefs of Delhi, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Punjabthat before detaining any Kashmiri, they should first inform the state government.

The development comes close of the heels of the recent arrest of two Kashmiris in Alwar district of Rajasthan following the Delhi high court blast.

Mukhtar Ahmad in Srinagar