There have been two-three instances of airspace violations by China this year along the Sino-India border, Indo-Tibetan Border Police said on Thursday.
"There have been 2-3 air violations. It happened in May and June this year. Three places they had flown. But they are at higher altitude and it is difficult to determine how inside they had come," ITBP Inspector General, M S Bhurji said at the annual conference of the about 77,000-men strong force.
"There is perceived intrusion. It is difficult to give exact figures," Bhurji added.
His senior and ITBP Director General Ranjit Sinha told reporters about how these "air space violations" take place at the Sino-India border.
"There is no delineation of border between India and China. There is no clear marking. They may consider violations of air space by our side even if we are flying inside the border. Since they do not recognise it," ITBP Director General Ranjit Sinha said.
He said his jawans have been able to keep a check on instances of "land intrusions" by Chinese side.
"There are perceived (land) violations. Since the Line of Actual Control is also a perceived LAC. It is a grey area. Everyday we send reports. It is not right to say that intrusion has increased. The border is disputed. The LAC is perceived differently from both the sides. Air space intrusion is of the same kind," Sinha told media persons.
Addressing the annual conference, the ITBP chief said the government is looking into a proposal of establishing an air wing for the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
"We do not have any air wing. I feel that the government is looking into it. Whenever there is a need we take help from Air Force.
"There is total coordination between ITBP and other forces of the Union. Air force also provided us help. Our locations are chosen in consultation with the Indian Army. Our long range and short range patrols are done in coordination with the Army," he said.
The ITBP guards 3,488 km of Indo-China border besides other internal and external security related duties.
To a question whether the force is equipped better to deal with contingencies like the 1962 Indo-China war, Sinha said, "We are in better condition as compared to 1962. Our deployment has been increased there (at border)".
When asked about a move to bring operation command of ITBP under the control of Army, the DG said, "Indian Army has many times given such sort of proposal. There is a central government committee which is looking into it whether the operation command will come under Army. No such decision has been taken so far."
Sinha rejected reports of any dispute over the payment against deployment of ITBP personnel for the security of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai attack.
"I will not say there is any controversy or dispute. We have provided force for the security. Whatever amount was spent, the Maharashtra government is consulting it with the central government.
"There is no dispute. Both the governments are in consultation. I do not know the amount raised on Kasab's security," Sinha added, refusing to divulge further details.