rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Chennai building collapse toll rises to 20; 2 rescued

Chennai building collapse toll rises to 20; 2 rescued

Last updated on: June 30, 2014 23:28 IST

Nine more bodies were recovered on Monday from debris of the under-construction multi-storeyed building in Chennai that collapsed on Friday, taking the toll in the tragedy to 20 while two persons were pulled out alive.

"So far, 20 persons have died, 15 identified and five yet to be identified. Out of the 15, six belong to Tamil Nadu, five to Andhra Pradesh and four are from Odisha," Tamil Nadu Director of Public Health Dr K Kulandaisamy told PTI.

A man and a woman were pulled out alive after 40 hours of ordeal by rescue workers, who continued their hard toil clearing debris caused by the collapse of the 11-storeyed residential building on June 28 evening at Moulivakkam in the western suburb, about 20 km from Chennai.

So far, 23 people have been rescued by the personnel of National Disaster Response Force, city police commandos, Fire and Rescue Services and Home Guards among others and are undergoing treatment in hospitals.

The fate of an estimated 33 persons, most of them construction labourers, suspected to be trapped under the rubble is not known, police said.

Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who visited the spot on Sunday evening, enhanced the relief for the kin of victims hailing from the state from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 7 lakh.

With several of the victims and survivors hailing from Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister of the neighbouring state N Chandrababu Naidu visited the collapse site and the hospital where the injured were undergoing treatment.

Naidu, who appealed to the Centre to extend more support to expedite the rescue efforts, assured the victims of necessary medical care and relief on a "war-footing".

He has already announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of the deceased from his state.

Former Union Minister K Chiranjeevi visited the mishap site and was briefed by government officials on the incident and rescue efforts. He also called on the survivors and kin of victims.

Six persons, including two owners and two engineers, have been arrested under various sections of the IPC in connection with the collapse. 

Image: Rescuers search for survivors in the debris of under construction building which collapsed in Porur near Chennai on Saturday. Photograph: R Senthil Kumar/PTI

© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.