rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Centre seeks more info to ban Hindu outfit

Centre seeks more info to ban Hindu outfit

September 13, 2011 00:34 IST
In response to the Maharashtra government seeking a ban on Hindu right-wing organisation Sanatan Sansthan, the Union government has sought for more information before it could decide its fate.  

The Centre's letter to the state comes after the latter had earlier written to them asking for a ban on the the organisation after its activists were found involved in setting up of explosives in auditoriums in Thane and Navi Mumbai.

Without elaborating, Home Minister R R Patil said on Monday, "The Centre has written to us asking for some more details, and we would furnish it send it to the centre."

Officials from the Home Ministry said that the department had received a letter from the Union government in this regard four days ago.

The Union government wants the state to furnish more details against the organisation to make the ban order more tenable. The Centre wants to know how many cases were pending against the organisation, how many convictions and how many blast cases was the organisation involved in.

Though the organisation that claims to preach spirituality through Hindiusm has denied habouring terrorists and stated that the people involved in the bombings had acted on their own.

The organisation came under the scanner of the law enforcement authorities after two of its activists were killed while they were on their way to plant bombs in Goa in 2009.
N Ganesh in Mumbai