rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Too hot to handle! American left with hole in throat after eating red chilli

Too hot to handle! American left with hole in throat after eating red chilli

October 19, 2016 09:25 IST

Now that’s too hot!

A 47-year-old American ended up with an inch-wide hole in his oesophagus after eating the brutally hot ‘ghost pepper’ during an eating contest.

The unnamed man was taken to hospital after eating a ghost pepper, also known as a bhut jolokia.

When he was admitted to hospital, doctors found an inch-wide hole in his oesophagus, and he underwent emergency surgery and remained in hospital for 23 days.

The chilli pepper scores around one million Scoville heat units -- the unit used to measure heat -- making it more than twice as hot as the jalapeño pepper.

According to the case study detailed in The Journal of Emergency Medicine, the man ate a burger laced with ghost pepper puree as part of an extreme-eating contest.

He soon experienced chest pain and severe vomiting and was taken to A&E.

The ghost pepper, or bhut jolokia, was considered the world's hottest chilli until 2013 when it was surpassed by the Carolina Reaper pepper.

Image used for representational purposes only. Photograph: Laszlo Balogh/Reuters

AGENCIES