NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » 2006 Mumbai fake encounter case: 21 get life imprisonment

2006 Mumbai fake encounter case: 21 get life imprisonment

July 12, 2013 16:54 IST

All 21 convicts, including 13 policemen were on Thursday awarded life imprisonment by a court in Mumbai in the 2006 fake encounter killing of Ram Narayan Gupta alias Lakkhan Bhaiya, an alleged aide of fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan.

Former senior inspector Pradeep Suryavanshi (who had led the encounter team), Tanaji Desai and Dilip Palande were among those sentenced to life by the sessions court.

While Suryavanshi, Desai and Palande were convicted for murder in the case, dismissed police officer and 'encounter specialist' Pradeep Sharma, who is credited with gunning down over 100 criminals, was acquitted for lack of evidence and prosecution's failure to prove its case, last Friday.

Over 110 prosecution witnesses and two defence witnesses had deposed during the trial.

On Monday, the prosecution had sought death penalty for all policemen (including Suryavanshi) and two others who were not cops -- Shalendra Pandey and Akhil Khan -- arguing that they had played an active role in killing. But the defence had argued that convictions were based only on circumstantial evidence, so capital punishment should be avoided.

Also, families of the accused should be kept in mind. On November 11, 2006, a police team picked up Ram Narayan Gupta alias Lakkhan Bhaiya, from neighbouring Vashi on the suspicion that he was a member of Rajan gang, along with his friend Anil Bheda, and killed Gupta in a "fake" encounter near NanaNaniPark in suburban Versova in Western Mumbai on the same evening.

According to prosecution, Bheda was initially detained at D N Nagar police station in Versova and was later shifted to Kolhapur. He was subsequently brought back to Mumbai  and was detained for about a month.

Soon thereafter, Ram Narayan's brother, advocate Ramprasad Gupta, moved the Bombay High Court, alleging that the police had in fact murdered his brother. In February 2008, the high court ordered a magisterial inquiry which concluded that it was a "cold-blooded" murder.

© Copyright 2017 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.