|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Assam: Militants in ceasefire must not carry arms, says army
K Anurag in Guwahati | June 20, 2008 19:13 IST
The army engaged in counter-insurgency operation in Assam has warned insurgent groups who are under ceasefire, to stop moving outside their truce-time designated camps with weapons.
The warning is primarily aimed at National Democratic Front of Bodoland that is now in truce with the government of India.
Major General Chandra Prakash, the GOC Red Horn Division of Indian Army, told the media in Guwahati that militants in truce particularly those from the NDFB should not expect for any leniency on part of the army if they were found moving about with weapons outside their designated camps.
The on and off running feud between the NDFB militants in truce and former militants of the now disbanded Bodo Liberation Tiger whose leaders are now in power in Bodoland Autonomous Territorial Council in Assam, has led to fratricidal killings among Bodo groups in recent months much to the chagrin of the government.
The last meeting of the strategy group of the three-tier unified command that takes care of the counter-insurgency operations in Assam, took a firm resolution that all militants in truce must stay in designated camps and shouldn't venture out of their camps with arms.
It has also prohibited collection of any sort of donations by the militants in truce to prevent extortion bids by these elements.
The army official further claimed that the Red Horn Division, which fights insurgents basically in Lower Assam districts had been able to push the 27th, 109th and 709th battalions of the proscribed United Liberation Front of Assam to the wall.
"The three ULFA battalions that were very active in lower Assam districts are now running short of weapons and manpower. The extortions by the ULFA militants have also dwindled to a great extent thanks to cooperation from the general people who have coming forward to provide prompt information to the army," the army official said.