rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Business » Internet connections up 23% in FY05

Internet connections up 23% in FY05

July 05, 2005 16:25 IST

The number of Internet subscribers in India went up by 23 per cent in 2004-05 to 2.92 million over 2003-04.

"The number of active Internet subscribers increased to 2.92 million in March 2005, from 2.36 million in March 2004," industry body MAIT said on Tuesday.

Dial-up remained the most commonly used means for accessing the Internet among businesses, although proportion of business using dial-up has dropped to 54 per cent in March 2005 from 60 per cent in March 2004.

The proportion of access through cable link increased from 16 per cent to 23 per cent during the same period, while that of DSL increased from two per cent to six per cent.

The penetration of Internet in the top 22 cities was 48 per cent among businesses, and 13 per cent for household.

The business segment now constitute 44 per cent of the total active Internet entities and households account for the remaining 56 per cent.

In terms of operating system on desktop and servers, Windows continue to rule with 74 per cent of the establishments having Windows 95/98 while only two per cent had Linux.

In case of servers, 4.0 per cent had Linux, 3.0 per cent had other non-Windows based opertating system installed, 10 per cent operated on Windows NT, 40 per cent had Windows 95/98 and 25 per cent had Windows-2000, MAIT said.

PC sales in 2004-05 were dominated by Pentium 4, which accounted for 81 per cent of the market share while alternative processors accounted for another 9.0 per cent. Consumption of PC with alternative processors grew 20 per cent.
© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.