Reader recipe: How to make Fried Coconut Rawa Idli
We invite readers to share their recipes with us! Deepti Jain wrote in to us and showed us how to make Fried Coconut Rawa Idli
Deepti Jain works in Accenture, Bengaluru. After getting married, the added responsibility of feeding her husband, Chirag drove her to the kitchen where she rediscovered her "somewhere lost hobby" of cooking and experimenting with new tastes and textures.
Deepti also decided to put them on a web page -- littlebangalore.com on a weekly basis with as much information as possible including intermediate pictures of the process.
As part of our series, today Deepti shares with us her recipe for Fried Coconut Rawa Idli:
For preparing plain rawa idli
- Curd: 1 cup
- Rawa (Sooji): 2 1/2 cup
- Salt: 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Eno: 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil for garnishing the idli plate
For preparing coconut fried idly:
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Water: 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies: 2
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Chat Masala: 3/4 teaspoon or as per taste
- Grated Coconut
For preparing plain rawa Idly:
- Mix the rawa well in curd for the batter and add water appropriately to make it a semi-liquid.
- Add salt to the mixture.
- Keep the batter aside for 30 minutes for rawa to get soaked.
- Remove the idli plate from the stand.
- Apply little oil to each cup on the idli plate.
- Add eno to the batter.
- Fill each cup with the above batter and place the idli plates on the stand.
- Pour 4 cups of water in the idly cooker and heat to the maximum.
- Now place the filled idli stand in the idly cooker and close the lid. (If using the pressure cooker, do not use the whistle)
- Cook for 6 minutes, open the lid and remove the idly stand after 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the idli from the stand and cut them into 4 pieces.
- For preparing coconut fried idli
- Chop green chilly in long and thin pieces.
- Put oil in the pan on high flame and heat it for 30 sec.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves to the pan and cook it for 15 seconds.
- Add green chilly to the mixture and cook it for 5 seconds more.
- Add turmeric powder to the mixture and mix it well.
- Add idly pieces to the mixture in the pan.
- Add salt, chat masala and grated coconut to the pan and mix well along with 2 table spoon water.
- Cook it for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Spread lemon juice on the cooked idli and mix it well.
- Serve hot with green dhaniya chutney.
Image: Fried Coconut Rawa Idli