The six IIMs will be announcing the list of admissions for the coming academic session by April 21," IIM-Ahmedabad Director Bakul Dholakia said today, making it clear that they cannot wait "indefinitely" in the wake of confusion over the quota regime.
"The admission list will be as per last year's capacity. The institutes will wait for the government directive on the expanded intake to accommodate OBC quota," he said. "We are deferring the increased intake rather than staying the admission process as a whole. This does not alter the status of OBC reservation implementation."
According to Mr Dholakia, "The expanded intake would be held back till the government issues a directive in this regard."
He lashed out at the government for not consulting the IIM officials before moving the circular on expansion of
seats to accommodate OBC quotas. "There was no consultation or discussion with us before the government moved the circular. Had there been a consultation they would have proposed what we have decided today," he said.
"We would like to cooperate with the government in whatever decision they have taken," he said."This decision is taken because students face uncertainty and financial loss. Our concern in the whole thing is to protect the interests of the student community," Dholakia said.
All six IIM directors met via video conferencing and decided to defer the admission process till April 21, "but not
later than that," Dholakia said.
|© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.|