Gony's first Man of the Match award in the IPL
Kings XI Punjab staged a miraculous comeback to stun defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders by four runs in a thrilling Pepsi Indian Premier League encounter, in Mohali, on Tuesday.
Statistical highlights of the match:
- Manpreet Gony, who smashed 42 off 18 balls, posted his highest score in the IPL.
- Gony's tally of three sixes in an innings is the highest by a Punjab batsman at the IPL. His strike rate of 233.33 is the second highest by a Punjab player in the IPL, next only to Yuvraj Singh's strike rate of 306.25 (49 off 16 balls) against Rajasthan Royals at Mohali on May 28, 2008.
- Gony received the Man of the Match award for the first time in the IPL.
Image: Manpreet Gony
Gambhir's hat-trick of fifties
- Gautam Gambhir became the first batsman to register three fifties in a row in the ongoing tournament -- 59 off 46 balls vs Bangalore; 53 off 45 balls vs Hyderabad and 60 off 39 balls vs Punjab.
- Gambhir became the first batsman to record the aforesaid feat twice in history of IPL, having first registered the feat between April 28 and May 5, 2012. Virender Sehwag (five 50s), Sachin Tendulkar and Jacques Kallis have registered the feat once each.
- With 235 runs at an average of 47 in five matches, Gambhir's tally is the second best in this tournament behind the 256 (ave.64.00) in five games by Virat Kohli. His tally of 19 innings of fifty or more is a record for most fifties in the IPL.
- Punjab's thrilling four-run victory is their narrowest by the margin of runs, at the Punjab Cricket Association stadium, Mohali in the IPL.
Image: Gautam Gambhir
Narine first KKR bowler to claim hat-trick
- Sunil Narine became the first Kolkata bowler to register a hat-trick -- the tenth in the history of IPL. Yuvraj and Amit Mishra are the only two bowlers to have recorded two hat-tricks each in the IPL.
- Narine also became the first bowler to complete 10 wickets (ave.12.20) in five games in the present edition of the IPL.
- Jacques Kallis (2046 runs + 51 wickets + 27 catches in 79 matches) became the first all-rounder to complete the triple of 2000 runs and 50 wickets in his IPL career.
- Adam Gilchrist became the first wicketkeeper to complete 60 dismissals (44 catches + 16 stumpings) in 71 games in the IPL.
Image: Sunil Narine