rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Cricket » PCB to seek details of ICC's decision on Pak trio

PCB to seek details of ICC's decision on Pak trio

February 06, 2011 21:04 IST

Pakistan Cricket Board will soon seek full details of the judgment passed by the ICC anti-corruption tribunal against banned trio of Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir for their involvement in the spot-fixing scandal.

Sources in the board said that PCB itself was now interested in obtaining details of the judgment as they wanted to know the full scope of the bans imposed on the three players.

"One can only know the full impact of the bans when the full judgment comes and we should get the details soon," one source said.

He pointed out that the board wanted to know the details because there were some questions about the ban including whether the board could release the outstanding amount of the three players after their ban.

"The financial aspect is very important because the code of conduct is very strict and bans the players from all cricket activities and they can only be associated with cricket by taking anti-corruption lectures that is all," he said.

The source referred to the life ban that was imposed on former captain Salim Malik in 2000.

"Malik had to face a virtual isolation by society and perhaps these three players still don't realize the consequences of the bans imposed on them," the source said.

The PCB has so far distanced itself from the players in the spot-fixing case and has been facing criticism from cricket quarters for not supporting the three players.

The source also said that the board would be meeting soon to discuss the criminal proceedings against the three players in London by the London Metropolitan Police.

"Obviously the players have to ensure they appear in the crown prosecution court on March 17 and the board might have to play its role in ensuring they go to London for the case," the source said.

"It was on the assurance of the board and the government that the London Metropolitan Police had agreed to allow the three players to return from London last year while the case was going on."

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.