A reported theft at Sri Lanka [ Images ] Cricket headquarters last September, which led to speculation of a security threat to the World Twenty20 [ Images ] Championships in Colombo, never happened, with the tournament director insisting that no safety plan was stolen.
"...there is absolutely no security threat to the ICC [ Images ] World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, as no files were lost as alleged," Tournament Director Upekha Nell said in a statement released by the ICC.
The theft was reported in the Sri Lankan media two weeks ago. The reports claimed that documents belonging to World Twenty20 2012 security consultant Shane Dullewa had been stolen from the board's headquarters.
But Nell denied any such incident.
Nell said "a comprehensive security plan" will be discussed by the organisers for the event, scheduled from September 18 to October 7.
"The Sri Lankan government and Sri Lanka Cricket have assured the ICC of providing a similar level of security as was available during the 2011 World Cup."
After the reports of theft, Dullewa was relieved of his position. Dullewa, a former secretary of the Sri Lankan rugby football union, was sacked last month.
He has appealed to a Colombo District Court against the decision.