The Bombay High Court has discharged four accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, criticising the NIA for ignoring evidence collected by the previous investigating agency. The court's decision leaves the question of responsibility for the blasts, which killed 31 people, unanswered.
Former BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Col Prasad Purohit hailed a special court's order acquitting them in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. Thakur said the acquittal was a win for "bhagwa" (saffron) and that God will punish those who tried to insult it. Purohit said he was implicated and will continue to serve the nation.
Unfortunately for the prosecution, the chassis number that the investigation was relying on to implicate Pragya failed as the court said in its judgment that the chassis number of the two-wheeler had been wiped out and therefore it could not be connected to Pragya.
The NIA had also not opposed her bail application.
A detailed timeline of the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, from the initial explosion to the acquittal of all accused in 2025.
For the first time a serving army officer was accused of terrorism.
A special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court in Mumbai on Monday issued a bailable warrant against Bharatiya Janata Party MP Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, for failing to appear before it despite repeated warnings.
The petition filed by Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh questions how the NIA can probe cases when law and order is the exclusive subject of the state government. Vicky Nanjappa reports
Even though the NIA claims that more than 90 per cent of cases charge-sheeted have ended in conviction, the figure is likely misleading. To date, very few cases investigated by the NIA have resulted in a completed trial, points out former CBI joint director Navneet Rajan Wasan.
It dropped sitting MP from Guna, Krishnapal Singh Yadav, to field Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia from the seat.
The principal of the Bhonsala Military School in Nashik was on Friday detained by the Anti Terrorism Squad for questioning in the September 29 Malegaon blasts even as prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur was brought to Mumbai for brain mapping and polygraph tests.
Saumitra, in a Facebook post, had referred to Mahatma Gandhi as the "father of Pakistan". "Pakistan was born with the blessings of Bapu, therefore, Mahatma Gandhi can be called the father of Pakistan and not of India," he wrote in a Facebook post on Thursday.
The NIA has found nothing to suggest that Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and 3 others were involved in Malegaon and Samjhauta blasts accused Sunil Joshi's murder, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
Cricket climate change to medical practice, dropped candidates have their non-political life sorted.
The special court for MCOCA cases on Saturday rejected the bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case and lodged in the Nashik prison was hospitalised on Saturday.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case and the Sunil Joshi murder case, has been diagnosed with breast cancer, according to a report from the Jawaharlal Nehru Cancer Hospital in Bhopal. A mammography test on her confirmed the ailment on Wednesday, doctors attending on her said.
The Bombay high court on Wednesday sought the reply of the Union government on a petition filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, challenging the constitutional validity of the National Investigation Agency.
The family members of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, accused in the Malegaon blasts case, have decided not to cremate her father unless she is granted permission to attend the funeral.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had a telephonic talk with L K Advani today close on the heels of the BJP leader attacking the Mumbai ATS for the treatment meted out to Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.
The Bombay high court Friday asked Maharashtra government whether it had any objection in granting bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast, on medical grounds.
Lt Col Purohit, it is now being reported quoting statements made by officers in the court of inquiry, had actually infiltrated Hindu radical outfit Abhinav Bharat while being posted at Pachmarhi in Madhya Pradesh to snoop in on plans to carry out terror strikes in India.
Shashi Tharoor has also been retained as the chairman of the panel on Information Technology.
The Bombay high court has directed the National Investigation Agency to file its reply on a petition challenging its constitutional validity. Justice A S Oka was hearing a petition filed by Malegaon blasts accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur challenging the constitutional validity of the setting up of the NIA.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on Tuesday rejected the bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the key accused in the 2008 Malegoan blast.
The Bombay high court on Thursday permitted Sadhvi Pragya Singh, accused in the Malegaon 2008 blast case, to travel by an air-conditioned compartment to attend proceedings in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh in connection with the Sunil Joshi murder case trial.
The National Investigation Agency, which failed to file its reply on a petition challenging its validity and powers to function has sought more time from the Bombay high court to file its reply.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, accused in the Malegaon blast case, has filed an application in the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court.Thakur has requested the court to direct the probe team, which is scheduled to take her to Bhopal in connection with the murder case of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh activist Sunil Joshi, to let her travel in an air-conditioned compartment. Sunil Joshi's name had cropped up during the investigation of the Malegaon blasts case.
The Bombay high court ruled out any possibility of granting bail to September 2008 Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in Mumbai on Wednesday.
The Supreme Court on Monday restrained the National Investigation Agency from interrogating Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in a 2007 murder case of former Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh worker Sunil Joshi.
The bail application filed by key accused in the Malegaon 2008 blast Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur on medical ground was on Thursday rejected by the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court on Thursday.
Right-wing organisations are holding a five-day conference at Ramnathi, Goa -- headquarters of the Sanatan Sanstha -- from June 10 to June 14 to draw up a timetable for the "formation of a Hindu nation and protection of Hindutva and Hindu organisations". Sanatan Sanstha had hit headlines in October 2009 for its links with Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, after the death of two people in a scooter bomb blast at Margao on the eve of Diwali.
The bail plea filed by Malegaon blasts accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh will be heard on December 14 by the Bombay high court.
Investigative agencies are finally looking at the possibility of a Hindutva terror network. Aseemanand's alleged confession and the earlier arrest of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit have shown the trail of the Hindutva terror network, which has turned the course of investigations into the bombings of Malegaon, Samjhauta Express, Ajmer Sharif and Mecca Masjid bomb blast cases.
The brother of Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur attempted suicide in south-east Delhi on Wednesday, alleging that he was being 'harassed' by investigating agencies.Ananth Brahmachari consumed poison and was found unconscious in Jangpura locality on Wednesday afternoon, police sources said.He was rushed to AIIMS where he is currently undergoing treatment, they said.investigating agencies in connection with his sister's alleged association in terrorist acts.
The National Investigation Agency on Saturday opposed the bail plea of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key accused in the Malegaon blast case, in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court. The agency said that she aided and abetted the other accused with the full knowledge of the terror strike and had offered all support to them. On November 18, Thakur had filed a bail application in the special MCOCA court for the third time.
The Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday came in defence of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Colonel Prasad Purohit, prime accused in the Malegaon blasts, and called the imposition of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against them as 'political conspiracy'.
Following the release of six accused in the 2006 Malegaon blast case, prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur has moved the court seeking regular bail.
Deshmukh said there is a law making it compulsory to have signboards in Marathi along with other languages and give priority to locals. However, these laws were not implemented properly, he added.
The CBI says Kalsangra, an Abhinav Bharat activist, was introduced to Gupta by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Sunil Joshi. Kalsangra's role becomes crucial since all the accused who are in custody have told their interrogators that he was the man who planted the bomb at Malegaon