Family members of the slain Rabbi Gavriel and the Chabad Lubavitch Movement have decided to end their dispute over the ownership rights of the Chabad House, one of the sites in south Mumbai that became target during the 26/11 terror attacks.
Investigators have painstakingly pieced together how American terror suspect David Headley used different people to plan out the 26/11 terror attack.
Relatives of a Rabbi, who was gunned down along with his pregnant wife during the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008, have filed a wrongful death suit against Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence and Lashkar-e-Tayiba at a Brooklyn court. Rabbi Gavriel Noah Holtzberg and his wife Rivka, who were originally from Brooklyn, were killed when the attackers took over the Chabad Lubavitch centre at Nariman House in November 2008. They were slaughtered in front of their two-year-old son.
Three journalists of a private news channel on Thursday identified their voices in the conversation recorded between them and terrorists during the 26/11 terror attacks.
India's Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador T S Tirumurti, said on Tuesday that India condemns all forms of anti-semitism and all forms of discrimination on religious grounds anywhere in the world.
A hoarding an MNS leader posted in Mahim, north-central Mumbai, to mark the first anniversary of the 26/11 terror attacks, omits National Security Guard commandos Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Havaldar Gajendra Singh Bisht who lost their lives battling terrorists at the Taj Mahal hotel and Nariman House respectively.
The elite Indian counter-terror force National Security Guard celebrated its 25th anniversary at a function in Haryana on Friday. On Friday, the commandos presented a spectacular display of their firepower and skill as they recreated the scene of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
The ungainly barricades surrounding the Taj Mahal and Trident hotels, the indifferently manned metal detectors at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the strong smell of fresh paint at Nariman House and a bullet lodged on the cracked surface of a table at Leopold Cafe.
The seven-day joint exercise termed Black Eagle--between the Special Forces (Garuda) of the IAF and the NSG's Black Cats was conducted with the help of MI-17 helicopters, sophisticated weaponry and unique heliborne devices used by commando forces at the NSG garrison in Manesar.
Rediff.com journalists Vaihayasi Pande Daniel and Rajesh Karkera attend an emotionally-charged ceremony marking the killing of Jewish Rabbi Gavriel and his wife Rivka Holtzberg in the attack on Chabad House during the 26/11 carnage. They also attend a parallel ceremony, mourning slain NSG commando Gajendra Singh.
Two National Security Guards personnel, including an officer, were on Friday were killed and six other commandos injured during operations against terrorists in Mumbai, the first casualties suffered by the elite force during the siege.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Thursday said there is no hostage-like situation at any hotel where people have locked themselves in their rooms for safety after the attack by terrorists on Wednesday.
The terror strike at the German bakery in Pune's Koregaon Park locality has rekindled concern for the safety of Israelis and Jews in the country, but community members have said that the bombing will not scare them away.
At a reception on Thursday organised by the Canadian Confederation of Chabad Luvabitch, an Orthodox Jewish organisation, Prime Minister Stephen Harper expressed his 'deepest sympathies to the Chabad Lubavitch family and all those who mourn the deaths of Rabbi Gavriel and Rivka Holtzberg." The Rabbi and his wife were killed by terrorists at Nariman House in Mumbai during the terror siege in November last year.
'Since I felt there could be more, I had told the local authorities to screen every hostage carefully, since we felt that some could have been staying as guests.' Former NSG director general J K Dutt in an exclusive interview.
The Israel government today slammed an Israeli rescue group for alleging that Indian commandos may have inadvertently killed one or more Jewish hostages during the Nariman House operation, saying the "irresponsible" comments could cause considerable damage to bilateral ties.
Solomon Sopher, friend of the slain Holtzbergs, tells us of the condolence meeting held in memory of the couple on Monday morning.
All ranks and file of the elite force gathered at NSG headquarters in Palam to pay their tributes to the slain hawaldar, who was a member of NSG's 51 Special Action Group.
"The restoration work started last Saturday after we were awarded the contract on Tuesday. We have been asked to complete the work before November 26 as they are going to hold some candle light vigil," the construction in-charge told PTI. The five-storey building, also known as Chabad House in Colaba in south Mumbai, stands as a mute testimony to the two-day terror siege with walls of its rooms and passageways pockmarked by hundreds of bullets and splinters from grenades.
Six months after their successful commando operation in Mumbai, the National Security Guard is training its personnel on new modules to hone their urban warfare and specialised operational skills to thwart terror attacks in future.
Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November 2008, on Friday told a special court hearing the 26/11 terror case that he was not aware of the attacks at Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi, Nariman House and Leopold Cafe in Mumbai. "I also do not know the people who had fired and exploded bombs at these places on November 26, 2008," Kasab said in reply to questions put to him by Judge M L Tahiliyani.
Moshe, 11, was two-year-old when his parents were killed in the Mumbai attacks at Nariman House (also known as Chabad House) by Pakistan-based LeT terrorists.
The former armyman -- identified as Sajid Mir -- has turned out to be Headley's handler in Pakistan and was tasking the American to learn praying like Jews so that he could conduct a recce of Jewish Centre Nariman House in Mumbai and the premises of a newspaper in Denmark, official sources said in Mumbai on Wednesday.
A year after terror ripped apart Chabad House, Matthew Schneeberger walks down the lanes of Nariman House to gauge the mood at the Jewish centre.
Anand Bhatt argued that they were all guests, innocent people who had merely come to dine. Why kill these people, he argued.
Standing shattered behind the Gateway of India with soot marred walls, bullet riddled doors, broken window panes and splinter marks, the terrorist-hit structures are now the most sought after tourist destinations in the city.Welcome to the world of 'disaster tourism' as many call it, where Taj Mahal and Oberoi Hotel along with Nariman House and of course the Leopold Cafe have become the favourite spots to be thronged by the average Mumbaikar.
Commandos of the National Security Guards received a rousing welcome from the locals when they came out of the Nariman House after killing two dreaded terrorists, who had holed themselves in the building along with five hostages.When the commandos came out after the successful mission, they were greeted with cheers, claps, pats on shoulders and patriotic slogans.The crowd, which had gathered outside the building, came running towards the unit as they came out.
It needs a lot of skill to keep the helicopter still as commandos slither down on like it was done on the rooftop in a busy area.
The National Security Guard's fight against terrorists is 'almost coming to an end' and the commandos were locked in battle with the last batch of the ultras on Thursday night.Mumbai Police Commissioner Hassan Gafoor said all hostages inside the Taj Hotel have been evacuated but refused to comment on whether the terrorists inside the hotel have been killed.Regarding terrorists holed up in the Oberoi Hotel and Nariman House, Gafoor said NSG commandos are leading the operation.
'And be confident that we will do a successful operation... Don't ask for a deadline. It is very difficult to say in such cases,' says Major General R K Hooda.
All hostages at Taj Hotel in Mumbai have been rescued, but there could be some still trapped at Trident hotel and Nariman House where operations were on to flush out terrorists, Maharashtra police chief A N Roy said on Thursday, ruling out any negotiations with the terrorists.
The director of Chabad-Lubavitch, Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg, and his wife Rivika are suspected to be among those being held hostage at its office in Nariman House, Colaba in South Mumbai, by terrorists since Wednesday night
'American-Israelis know the dangers involved. They know they can be targeted, so they always take precautions. Security is important to them,' says Rabbi Sharon Benjamin Galsulkar.
Foreign Minister Tzipi Livnitold told the Israeli Cabinet on Sunday that her ministry is working to bring Sandra Samuel to Israel. The toddler's parents -- Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and Rivika -- serving at the Chabad House or Nariman House in Mumbai as the emissaries of the Chabad movement were killed in the audacious attack.
Sources in the disaster management cell of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said 195 people were killed, including 10 foreigners and 15 police personnel. Besides, 295 others were wounded
The two sniffer dogs of the National Security Guards (NSG) went about their task with diligence for about 15 hours during the encounter in the Nariman House along with their masters -- the commandos-- and are no strangers to life threatening situations.
"There were some pretty scary moments while we were fighting fires at the Taj Hotel. On Thursday night, while we were in a cage trying to rescue guests trapped in the heritage section of the hotel, we saw one of the terrorists carrying a gun," Chief Fire Officer A V Sawant told PTI.
Sources in the disaster management cell of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said 195 people were killed, including 10 foreigners and 15 police personnel. Besides, 295 others were wounded
The gruesome siege drama in Mumbai has claimed the lives of at least 13 foreign nationals and left 22 of them injured.According to Union Home Ministry data released on Thursday evening, eight foreign nationals were dead and 22 injured in the Mumbai terror attacks. These figures do not include the death of five Israelis in Nariman House, whose killing was confirmed later by National Security Guards chief J K Dutt.
As the terror drama unfolded in Mumbai, social networkers and bloggers rapidly posted pictures of the ongoing events and sent sms-es over phone to whet the growing hunger for information and reports of live unedited action.