Last month, then Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had ordered a CAG scrutiny of private power distribution companies.
The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission said the surcharge was for a period of three months from February 1 or until any further order.
Areas in East and Central Delhi face a blackout risk from Saturday as the State-run National Thermal Power Corporation on Friday rejected the Delhi government's plea not to stop electricity supply to the BSES Yamuna Power Ltd for defaulting on payments.
BSES Yamuna Power Ltd said that there could be power cuts of up to 10 hours a day
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday accused BSES discoms of trying to "blackmail" the government by threatening power cuts upto 10 hours a day, and warned them of strict action including possible cancellation of licenses.
Attacking Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on power issue, Bharatiya Janata Party leader Harsh Vardhan on Friday said that if he fails to provide uninterrupted electricity supply and slash rates as promised during elections, he has no right to stay in office.
Rejecting the contention of private power distributors, the Delhi government on Wednesday ordered an audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General of their finances, fulfilling yet another election promise of the Aam Aadmi Party.
Reliance Infra-backed BSES discoms have sought Rs 450 crore "dues" from Delhi government and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi to overcome their immediate "financial difficulties" and avoid black outs in 70 per cent areas even as the AAP dispensation maintained it will not adopt a "lenient" approach in dealing with the firms.
Reliance Infra-backed BSES discoms on Tuesday criticised the Delhi government for recommending to power regulator Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission to revoke their licenses, saying the proposal was "arbitrary" and "illegal" and will be a huge setback to power sector reforms.
It will be difficult for the AAP govt to maintain subsidies.
Despite their promised and announced reduction in power prices, the Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi government may want keep the issue on the burner for sometime longer, since none of the concerned players are ready to give an inch, and seem raring for a fight, says Upasna Pandey
The bench said the AAP contention that the LG is bound to act on the aid and advice of Council of Ministers was "without substance and cannot be accepted".