The proposed merger between two state-run telecom giants -- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited -- might have hit a roadblock, but both the companies plan to synergise their operations across the country.
State-owned Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Ltd has launched three additional basic plans for its Intregated Subscriber Digital Network or ISDN customers effective January 1.
The scheme will be offered to 15,000 employees, or one-third of the workforce, in the current financial year.
According to sources close to the development, the company has completed its beta testing (trial runs) successfully and is ready for the commercial rollout of the services. MTNL is looking at an early April date for the launch.
Telecom tribunal TDSAT on Friday reserved the judgement on MTNL's petition challenging the new levy regime of TRAI, which could result in a loss of Rs 550 crore (Rs 5.5 billion) to the public sector undertaking, till Monday.
"Out of the total loan amount of Rs 1,500 crore, we have raised Rs 500 crore (Rs 5 billion) from various banks and for the rest of the amount, we are still in talks with the them (banks)," MTNL Chairman and Managing Director Kuldip Singh said on the sidelines of an event.
In a surprise development, telecom PSU MTNL's chairman and managing director R S P Sinha has resigned from the post.
If it fails, the services will be stopped from March 1.
Minister said the government wants to bring them back to profitability.
In a major incentive to the consumers, state-run Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Ltd on Thursday indicated lowering of broadband tariffs by 50 per cent to Rs 199 per month from Rs 399.
TRAI removed network interconnection charges.
Govt to bear Rs 12k-cr cost of spectrum retention but without any cash outgo put up for Cabinet nod.
One lesson the government should learn from the Air India-Indian Airlines merger fiasco is that combining two sick people ends up making them sicker.
MTNL intends to allow one successful bidder each in its licensed area of Delhi and Mumbai for the deployment and operation of its Wi-Max system on exclusive, revenue-sharing basis. The network proposed to be deployed should provide fully converged broadband data and voice services such as access to internet, VPN clients, QoS to individual subscribers and cell support video conferencing, the PSU in said its global expression-of-interest notice.
Within two weeks of offering voluntary retirement to 612 officers, state owned MTNL on Tuesday signed up another 1300 Group 'C' and 'D' employees for separation.
Public sector telecom firms are gearing up to focus on customer care to match their private sector rivals with the Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Ltd inviting tenders for running helpdesk for its internet and broadband services in Delhi and Mumbai.
Ravi Shankar Prasad in a review meeting of MTNL earlier this month had pulled up officials for poor network quality and slow pace of network roll-out.
The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd is offering a virtual calling card of Rs 500 with every new fixed-line connection from Wednesday, and has announced concessions for residential housing societies.
These connected-by-MTNL products would be available through Dell's distribution channels in Mumbai and Delhi very soon.
Swedish telecom firm Telia has shortlisted two Indian telcos to buyout its controlling stake in the Sri Lankan subsidiary, Suntel, officials said on Friday.
The two PSUs have been losing revenues as well as market share.
During financial year 2011-12, MTNL was able to use only 14.66 per cent of the Budget estimate, while BSNL reported a better performance, according to a report by the standing committee on information technology.
BSNL has been among the top three net losers in terms of subscribers. MTNL, which operates in only the Delhi and Mumbai circles, has lost, too.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd has decided to offer alternate tariff packages to its subscribers of basic telecom services in Delhi and Mumbai, a move that may bring much-needed relief to the landline users.
The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd on Friday announced up to 25 per cent reduction in ISD (international subscriber dialling) rates for calls made to destinations like the United States, the Untied Kingdom and South East Asian countries.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), the two big state-controlled telecom companies, have written to the government asking that it bear the entire cost of the additional spectrum assigned to the two giants.
MTNL has lined up Rs 1500 crore to expand GSM and broadband operations in 2008.
MTNL plans to provide 15,000 ultra high-speed broadband connections in Delhi and Mumbai.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is unlikely to participate in the tender floated by Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited to carry its STD traffic in Delhi and Mumbai even as the NYSE-listed MTNL has agreed to pay some of the STD dues immediately.
State-owned MTNL will soon reap a tax refund windfall, as the Income Tax department has been asked to return a whopping Rs 1,233 crore (Rs 12.33 bilion) to the telecom PSU
MTNL has cut the one-time payment of its lifelong post-paid mobile plan by 50 per cent to Rs 400 from the existing Rs 800.
The government on Thursday said it has directed Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd to monitor illegal international calls through its Nepal subsidiary.
Telecom PSU MTNL has paid Rs 314 crore (Rs 3.14 billion) to BSNL, which had demanded Rs 1,062 crore (Rs 10.62 billion) for carrying the former's STD traffic.
State run MTNL has taken to the franchise route to sell its 3G services in Delhi and Mumbai and has floated a global Expression of Interest for 3G Services Franchisee.
The state-owned MTNL on Wednesday announced expansion of its GSM cellular capacity by an additional four lakh lines each in Delhi and Mumbai, from the current 2.25 lakh lines each in the two metros.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd have entered into a strategic alliance, under which the two public-sector telecom companies will jointly offer their voice and data services.
MTNL landline subscribers will now be able to get a second fixed phone connection free of security, registration and rental costs under a new scheme, which the company hopes would stop users from surrendering their phones.