Last month, then Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had ordered a CAG scrutiny of private power distribution companies.
Areas in East and Central Delhi face a blackout risk from Saturday as the State-run National Thermal Power Corporation on Friday rejected the Delhi government's plea not to stop electricity supply to the BSES Yamuna Power Ltd for defaulting on payments.
Rejecting the contention of private power distributors, the Delhi government on Wednesday ordered an audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General of their finances, fulfilling yet another election promise of the Aam Aadmi Party.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday accused BSES discoms of trying to "blackmail" the government by threatening power cuts upto 10 hours a day, and warned them of strict action including possible cancellation of licenses.
Reliance Infra-backed BSES discoms have sought Rs 450 crore "dues" from Delhi government and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi to overcome their immediate "financial difficulties" and avoid black outs in 70 per cent areas even as the AAP dispensation maintained it will not adopt a "lenient" approach in dealing with the firms.
Reliance Infra-backed BSES discoms on Tuesday criticised the Delhi government for recommending to power regulator Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission to revoke their licenses, saying the proposal was "arbitrary" and "illegal" and will be a huge setback to power sector reforms.
Despite their promised and announced reduction in power prices, the Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi government may want keep the issue on the burner for sometime longer, since none of the concerned players are ready to give an inch, and seem raring for a fight, says Upasna Pandey
The bench said the AAP contention that the LG is bound to act on the aid and advice of Council of Ministers was "without substance and cannot be accepted".