News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  gplay

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Hernandez seals controversial win for Man United at Chelsea

Hernandez seals controversial win for Man United at Chelsea

Last updated on: October 29, 2012 00:49 IST

Image: Javier Hernandez of Manchester United celebrates his goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United
Photographs: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Javier Hernandez grabbed a 3-2 victory for Manchester United at Premier League leaders Chelsea after the previously unbeaten hosts had been reduced to nine men in a tempestuous clash at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The Mexican, looking suspiciously offside, tapped in the winner in the 75th minute to kill off a vibrant Chelsea side who had battled back from 2-0 down before having Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres sent off by referee Mark Clattenburg.

A David Luiz own goal gave United the lead after four minutes and Robin van Persie fired the visitors 2-0 ahead eight minutes later.

Juan Mata began the Chelsea fight back with a curling free kick in the 44th minute and Ramires hauled Chelsea level shortly after the break with a header.

Red card for Ivanovic and Torres

Image: Fernando Torres of Chelsea is shown the red card by referee Mark Clattenburg during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United
Photographs: Michael Regan/Getty Images

However, Chelsea's momentum was halted when Ivanovic was red-carded for tripping Ashley Young and worse followed when Fernando Torres appeared to have been felled by Jonny Evans but was instead shown a second yellow card for diving.

The home crowd roared its disapproval and then watched on as Hernandez, on as a substitute for Tom Cleverley, poked home United's winner from close range.

Victory lifted United back above neighbours Manchester City into second place on goal difference with 21 points, one point behind Chelsea.

Earlier Everton recovered from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Merseyside rivals Liverpool at Goodison Park while Gareth Bale was on target against his old club as Tottenham Hotspur moved into the top four with a 2-1 victory at struggling Southampton.

Newcastle United beat West Bromwich Albion 2-1 at home.

Own goal from Luiz

Image: Chelsea's David Luiz scores an own goal past Peter Cech during their English Premier League match against Manchester United
Photographs: Toby Melville/Reuters

Chelsea and United drew 3-3 at Stamford Bridge last season in the Premier League and the latest chapter in their rivalry proved equally dramatic.

United, who meet Chelsea again this week in the League Cup, made a blistering start as they went 2-0 ahead after 12 minutes.

Chelsea were guilty of giving away possession and when Wayne Rooney cut a pass back for Robin van Persie the Dutchman's shot cannoned off the bar and ricocheted off Luiz into the net.

The early blow disrupted Chelsea's composure and they fell further behind as United counter-attacked in devastating fashion.

Antonio Valencia made ground down the right and his cross was perfect for Van Persie to fire past Petr Cech with Chelsea's defence all at sea.

Ramires, Mata bring Chelsea back

Image: Juan Mata of Chelsea celebrates his goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United
Photographs: Michael Regan/Getty Images

Chelsea, again playing with Oscar, Eden Hazard and Juan Mata in an attacking formation behind Torres, cleared their heads and a minute before halftime Mata curled an unstoppable free kick past Davis de Gea to give them hope.

They were level after 53 minutes when Ramires climbed to head in Oscar's dinked cross in a crowded area.

The game seemed to have swung Chelsea's way but Ivanovic was dismissed for an inadvertent trip on Young and a few minutes later Torres tumbled as he raced through but, to his horror, got up to see a red card being waved at him.

United manager Alex Ferguson and counterpart Roberto Di Matteo exchanged heated words on the touchline as Torres stormed off.

Hernandez then rubbed salt into Chelsea's wounds as the crowd sang "3-2 to the referee".

Suarez in spotlight as Mersey derby ends 2-2

Image: Everton's Tim Howard fails to keep out a header by Liverpool's Luis Suarez during their English Premier League soccer match at Goodison Park
Photographs: Michael Regan/Getty Images

Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez courted more controversy as he inspired Liverpool into a two-goal lead against Everton in a thrilling Merseyside derby that ended 2-2 at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Suarez's low cross was turned into his own net by Leighton Baines after 14 minutes and he then doubled his side's lead five minutes later with a glancing header.

Everton battled back to earn a draw with goals from Leon Osman and Steven Naismith before halftime but it was Suarez who guaranteed he would be making the headlines.

Heavily criticised before the match by Everton manager David Moyes for his perceived habit of diving, he celebrated Liverpool's first goal by racing over to the Everton dugout and throwing himself theatrically to the ground.

Moyes was clearly not amused although he later made light of the incident, appearing more angry with Suarez treading on the leg of Everton defender Sylvain Distin in the second half, for which Suarez received a yellow card.

Tevez on target for Man City

Image: Carlos Tevez of Manchester City celebrates scoring the opening goal during the Barclays Premier League
Photographs: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Champions Manchester City rode on a Carlos Tevez's fierce strike in the second half gave them a 1-0 win over Swansea City on Saturday.

Arsenal, who also needed a win after two defeats in the last week, beat bottom club Queens Park Rangers 1-0 with a late winner from Mikel Arteta while Reading and Fulham fought out a 3-3 draw at the Madejski Stadium.

In Saturday's other games, Wigan Athletic beat West Ham United 2-1 while Aston Villa drew 1-1 with Norwich City and Stoke City and Sunderland ground out an uninspiring 0-0 draw.

Arteta winner for Arsenal

Image: Mikel Arteta of Arsenal pokes the ball past Ryan Nelsen of QPR to score the opening goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Arsenal and QPR
Photographs: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Arsenal rose from ninth to fourth after Arteta's 84th minute goal secured the points for Arsene Wenger's men against QPR.

They have 15 points from their nine games but could end the weekend in sixth place if Everton beat Liverpool in Sunday's Merseyside derby at Goodison Park and Tottenham Hotspur win their match on Sunday at Southampton.

Arteta struck from close range, turning the ball in from the rebound after he had hit the bar.

The goal came soon after Rangers' Stephane Mbia was sent off for lashing out at Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen, QPR's ninth red card during 2012.

Arsenal's win halted a run of two successive defeats to Norwich City in the Premier League and Schalke 04 in the Champions League over the last seven days.

The Gunners welcomed back Jack Wilshere after the England midfielder missed the last 17 months with ankle problems and he played well for the 67 minutes he was on.

Six-goal thriller

Image: Chris Baird of Fulham watches as his header goes past goalkeeper Alex McCarthy of Reading for Fulham's second goal
Photographs: Christopher Lee/Getty Images

Reading and Fulham shared the points in a six-goal thriller which left Reading still looking for their first win of the season, although they moved up a place from 19th to 18th, ahead of Southampton.

Mikele Leigertwood put Reading ahead with a long range shot after 26 minutes before Brian Ruiz equalised for Fulham in the 61st minute, three minutes after coming on as a substitute.

Chris Baird headed Fulham 2-1 up after 77 minutes but had to go off after injuring himself on the advertising hoardings as he celebrated his goal.

Three goals then followed in the closing stages as Reading substitute Gareth McCleary made it 2-2 after 85 minutes before Dimitar Berbatov looked to have scored Fulham's winner two minutes from time with a thunderous drive.

Then, almost with the last kick, Reading's second sub, Hal Robson-Kanu earned his side a point, scrambling home from close range 12 minutes after coming on.

© Copyright 2023 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.