» Sports » Indian football round-up: Bengaluru FC fight back to down Pune 3-1

Indian football round-up: Bengaluru FC fight back to down Pune 3-1

Source: PTI
December 14, 2017 22:39 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Bengaluru FC players celebrate the opening goal against Pune City FC during their ISL match at the Balewadi Stadium in Pune on Thursday

A brace from striker Miku helped Bengaluru FC defeat FC Pune City 3-1 after being a goal down in their Indian Super League encounter in Pune on Thursday.

Venezuelan Miku (64th minute and 78th) and skipper Sunil Chhetri (95th) starred for Bengaluru at the Balewadi Sports Complex as the side registered their fourth win this season to cement their place the top of points table.

Adil Khan (35th minute) scored for lone goal for PuneCity.

Pune's aggressive approach helped them take a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute, courtesy a stunning header from mid-fielder Khan.

Spanish midfielder Marcos Tebar passed it to Issac Vanmalsawma Chhakchhuak, who in-turn gave a long cross to an unmarked Khan, who netted the ball with an excellent header.

Earlier, in the 13th minute, Chhetri misjudged a pass to forward Nicholas Fedor.

Initially, nothing went in Bengaluru's favour as their players were way off target. In the 26th minute, Chhetri shot at the right corner of the goal on a free-kick, only to be saved by the opposition keeper with a dive. Pune were 1-0 ahead at the halftime.

PuneCity were down to 10 men in the 55th minute when Baljit Sahni was shown his second yellow card.

After the break, Bengaluru made it 1-1. In one of their attacks, the ball came to Spaniard Braullio Rodrigues inside the 18-yard-box, who cut it back for Miku to send it past Pune keeper Vishal Kaith.

In the 78th minute, Miku made it 2-1. Edu Garcia had a shot on the goal, which was blocked by Rafa Lopez and as the Pune players were appealing for a hand ball, Miku slotted the ball to the right corner of the net.

In injury time, Chhetri scored his second goal of the season to hand Pune a 3-1 defeat.

I-League: Shillong Lajong hold depleted Mohun Bagan to 1-1 draw

Less-fancied Shillong Lajong held depleted Mohun Bagan to a 1-1 draw in an I-League encounter at the Salt Lake Stadium, in Kolkata on Thursday.

Mohun Bagan took the lead in the 12th minute when Aser Pierrick Dipanda Dicka scored from the spot.

But Lajong's 19-year-old captain Samuel Lalmuanpuia equalised for the visitors from the penalty spot in the 72nd before the Mariners were reduced to 10 players.

It was Sheikh Faiaz who was brought down inside the box by Rakesh Pradhan and Dicka took the full responsibility in absence of Sony Norde to fire in and give Bagan the lead.

The highest goal scorer of last season scored his third goal of the season and also showed a fine gesture by dedicating the goal to fellow player Yuta Kinowaki.

Kinowaki is down with a collarbone injury and has been ruled out for about a month.

Then Mohun Bagan's Eze Kingsley picked up his second yellow card to reduce the hosts to 10 players with 17 minutes left.

Debnath then brought down Shillong Lajong's Yemeni forward Aiman Al-Hagri inside the box in the second half to concede a penalty and their young captain Lalmuanpuia converted with a powerful spot kick.

A desperate Mohun Bagan tried their best at the fag end of the match but it was Lajong goalkeeper Phurba Lachenpa who stood tall as the home team dropped points for the second time in four matches.

Mohun Bagan, however, remain on second place with eight points, one clear of Shillong Lajong in the standings led by Minerva (10).

IMAGE: Bengaluru FC players celebrate the opening goal against Pune City FC during their ISL match at the Balewadi Stadium in Pune on Thursday

Photograph: ISL/Twitter

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI© Copyright 2021 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Indian Premier League - 2021

Indian Premier League - 2021